Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

Like it and hope Win 9 or 'Threshold' will incorporate the same type settings without all that touch pad mess that they tried to fob off on Win 8 & Win 8.1. If you wanna touch pad get one but leave the desktop OS alone is the way I look at it.

Absolute crap. Win7 ran fine at start and then MS started doing all the "Updates". Well, after the last "Update" on Friday 10/17/14 my computer is slow, my antivirus doesn't work even after updating that, my wireless printer can't print, and I have just spent all day Sunday and Monday trying to fix what the "Update" screwed up. At least my computer works after this update. Last year I had to do a complete system wipe due to MS F'ing up my computer.

At this point on a Monday I am absolutely disgusted with MS and vow my next laptop will be either an Apple or running Linux, because MS keeps F@#king everything up. If you can afford it-DO NOT BUY A COMPUTER RUNNING WINDOWS!

Absolute crap. Win7 ran fine at start and then MS started doing all the "Updates". Well, after the last "Update" on Friday 10/17/14 my computer is slow, my antivirus doesn't work even after updating that, my wireless printer can't print, and I have just spent all day Sunday and Monday trying to fix what the "Update" screwed up. At least my computer works after this update. Last year I had to do a complete system wipe due to MS F'ing up my computer.

At this point on a Monday I am absolutely disgusted with MS and vow my next laptop will be either an Apple or running Linux, because MS keeps F@#king everything up. If you can afford it-DO NOT BUY A COMPUTER RUNNING WINDOWS!

After all the problems I have had lately, I can agree with you. Especially using the Toshiba Recovery Disks.
I am sticking with that don't care what anyone says, to the contrary.

So windows 7 has been out for a good while how would you rate it. Do you love it, like it, 50/50, dislike it or wish I never installed it. So far I have had few too no problems with 7 it is so much better than vista I have to say i love it.

Been using windows 7 since launch on same machine with no problems recently installed windows 8.1 on separate new hard drive so i can duel boot out of the two windows 7 wins hands down in my opinion. :):):)

35/50 for Home Premium
45/50 for Premium/Ultimate

I GOT A PROBLEM!

Oww yes, i've used win7 for over 7 years. I use it everyday, it's the best for Gaming, the best for popular apps (Eg. Photoshop). It's the perfect casual OS if windows 8 metro seems gross to you. But there is 1 thing that annoys me about win7:

Explorer.exe is ABSOLUTELY SH!T at handling thumbs.db's, while it's failing at this, it causes nonstop file-handle errors, where explorer.exe itself is holding the file and refusing to let go because it's making thumbs!!! The annoying work-around involed restarting explorer.exe.

By file-handle errors, i mean something like: "You cannot rename/move/delete this file because it is being used by another program." I forget exactly how the error message goes..

To make the matter worse, "Windows 7 Home Premium", the version most people would buy, does NOT let you edit gpedit.msc to turn off thumbs.db caching!! This is only available in Premium/Ultimate.

Microsoft could have chosen 7 years ago, to not be complete assh0les, and actually let Home Premium users actually have some control over their OS. Some of you might think this doesn't merit a 15 point drop, but to me it does, an OS should be able to handle files!! It's just pathetic.

Before you say "Oww maybe you need a reinstall, or weren't using a legit copy" I've personally observed this error with over half a dozen Home Premium installs. Thankfully since discovering the error I've been running Premium/Ultimate, still upsetting they would sell an incomplete OS, and force me to have to upgrade later after much grief. :(

The second lesser issue is that it's riddled with NSA backdoors.. This isn't as annoying as explorer.exe, for an average user it wouldn't matter, it would probably only be of concern to non-US companies/persons who were interested in information security. So windows isolates itself a lot towards mainstream users, i feel.

Last edited:
The normal name would have been Windows 9, but Microsoft is excited to suggest a split with the past. I will rate Windows 7 50/50

Windows 7 was released in 2009. It sold more than 100 million copies in six months and leftovers massively popular. More constant than successor Windows Vista and more well-known than it’s fundamentally redesigned successor Windows 8, version 7 is at a standstill estimated to be running partly of the world's PCs.Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an imperative update that includes earlier released security, performance, and constancy updates for Windows 7. SP1 also includes new improvements to features and services in Windows 7.I will rate Windows 7 50/50.
http://goo.gl/pykVsD

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 7. SP1 also includes new improvements to features and services in Windows 7, such as improved reliability when connecting to HDMI audio devices, printing using the XPS Viewer, and restoring previous folders in Windows Explorer after restarting.

I bought Windows-7-Professional about a month after it came out. Though I ran the beta version before then. THAT is why I bought the real thing. Loved it so much that I bought the Pro version for both my sons at 195.00 a piece for Christmas presents... (ps. windows-2000 & windows-7, are their best OS's so far...).

Bought a laptop a while back with Windows-8.0. Shortly after, it upgraded itself to 8.1. The laptop was a Intel i5-3337-chip, with a 500-gig-7200-rpm drive, 8-gigs of DDR-3 ram. A decent laptop... and liked Win-8.1 at first.

So I went and bought Windows-8.1 OEM disk, and put it on my "main" computer... my tower...(the one with 5 hard-drives). (spent over 1.5 grand just building the box). Windows-7 loved it, Windows-8 did not. Had too many freeze-ups. Got tired of it. Re-formatted the 120-gig ssd drive, went back to Windows-7-pro.

When I first started running Windows-7 I thought, that this version treats you more like a dummy than Windows-XP. Try running Windows-8.1...... it treats you even more like a dummy.

I take every program that I will usually run into "pin to taskbar". So logically speaking... then I wouldn't need a start-menu. Will have to see what Windows-10 will have to offer. Should I try the BETA version....???

Last edited:
Ha... "Sorry" to inform you, what you described and how you described it, clearly, points to lack of knowledge, not faulty software. You have wildly mistaken your issues as the fault of others, namely, MS. If you are a Windows user, only, in your computing lifetime timeline, 7 is by far the best, as in most functional, most customizeable, "free-est"(dont mean monetarily) OS MS has ever produced. Those three things are the three "most important" and defining aspects of an OS.

Sounds like you may have gotten hit with malware and unfortunately, mistaienly believed that Norton was a quality anti malware company. Maybe server/domain level sosftware is okay, but the home stuff is trash. You could have untold numbers of malware that Norton would never pick up on. Try Eset or malwarebytes trials

Yes but as a counter argument when the world is pushing windows down your throat it better do what its supposed to do.
And its not like windows 7 is flawless, I had my own share of issues with Windows 7 even with knowing what hardware and software i would need to keep it running smoothly.
And yes Microsoft can be blamed for the bugs in its system, they are even more responsible for quality as you pay money for it.
Its not like with linux where you get it for free so professionalism isnt expected, linux doesnt have the same amount of resources that Microsoft has so I dont blame its flaws on tfhe developers as its made by small time programmers.
Windows on the other hand needs to be called out for when it makes a mistake, with all that money you would think that keeping the OS bug free would be a priority.
If we were talking about ME here certainly you would agree that Microsoft should have worked harder on keeping it bug free.
Or how about Vista or even 8?
I would agree that in my experience windows 7 is one of the better ones Microsoft has created, but it still has its share of issues.
Change your motherboard or mix and mat memory card brands, see the lovely results :D

That isn't a counter. It is flawed from the beginning "Do what it is supposed to do" gets taken off the table as soon as malware climbs aboard
yes but I do believe that Microsoft is responsible for securing its systems, sure security holes are in everything but Microsoft is known for its insecure systems.

Yes but putting the full burden on the user is not an answer, not all users are computer tech savvy and as a system that is claimed to be the most user friendly surely part of the blame for the security holes can be blamed on the ones that make it.
If you have a defective product fix it, if Microsoft windows were a car it would always need to go to the shop for repairs.

Yes, you are right. Very true
Thus is my main issue with windows, microsoft likes to show off its pretty lights but ignore the basics of security, it's different than what happened with openssl and bash where developer resources are limited

Last edited:
I dunno as a Linux user I guess I am just used to better patching of critical security holes, but that is not to be expected with a billion dollar company that controls the market with anti competitive tactics and bad behavior.
Again not saying linux is perfect but there is a reason why heartbleed and shellshock took everyone of guard as linux isn't known for big security holes, it's like you don't hear of a big deal with a car accident but a plane crash gets everyones attention.

Back