Windows 8 HP printer does not work but copy/scan works?

mike marshell

Hi
I have a deskjet 1050 , something fell into it and misaligned the paper feed. So after I removed
the object I printed once. Now it does not print at all. I downloaded the driver from HP. Printer
still is not working but the copier and the scanner work. The printer does not show an error message
When I run the troubleshooting it says it can not find the problem. I got the printer from a friend and
it didn't come with a install CD. I have 8.1 and tried letting windows find the driver. That came up
with more errors , but that's the way I originally set it up. This worked fine up until I dropped that part in it.
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Jim

Try printing on a computer with an older Windows version, such as Win7 or XP. If it prints there, it's a driver issue. A deskjet 1050 is 10 years old and probably won't ever work with Win8.1 drivers. If the printer does print on an older Windows, that's most likely the problem, so it's probably time to junk it.

If however, it doesn't print, the feed motor or logic board is shot or overloaded. In any case, that's a $200 repair at just about any printer shop, and that printer is maybe worth $20 if that..time to replace it with something new. fyi, brand new HP all-in-ones (print, copy, scan) are available on ebay new in box for under $99.

I would do a midnight run and leave it back on the front porch of the friend who gave it to you.... =D

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Try printing on a computer with an older Windows version, such as Win7 or XP. If it prints there, it's a driver issue. A deskjet 1050 is 10 years old and probably won't ever work with Win8.1 drivers. If the printer does print on an older Windows, that's most likely the problem, so it's probably time to junk it.

If however, it doesn't print, the feed motor or logic board is shot or overloaded. In any case, that's a $200 repair at just about any printer shop, and that printer is maybe worth $20 if that..time to replace it with something new. fyi, brand new HP all-in-ones (print, copy, scan) are available on ebay new in box for under $99.

I would do a midnight run and leave it back on the front porch of the friend who gave it to you.... =D

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
So I finally got this to work. My problem ended up being a loose connection on the usb port, what
tied me up so long was that the scanner worked but the printer didn't. I explained what the problem was on the web site
ASK and it brought me to an HP page where some one else had the same problem. On there I found
a url post that brought me to the HP download site. This was a different one that I downloaded when
I first had this problem , which was also a HP site or else it said it was and looked pretty official but
did not have the professional look of the one I downloaded off the ASK search.
BTW I first set this up in 8 by using the supplied drivers from windows and it worked fine.
Moral of the story don't drop anything small into the paper feeder.

Back
Top Bottom