Windows 8 Hyper-V Not Working

Sonny

Excellent Member
Hyper-V is giving me this message every time I try to connect. I have checked and double checked my bios to make sure every thing was enabled and even went back into programs and features to make sure every thing was checked. I hope someone here has an answer. I am totally lost.

Capture1.PNG

Does your hardware support virtulization? It sometimes needs to be enabled in the BIOS. I got my nephew a Windows 7 box last year and got a similar message with VMware Player. It has UEIF and I couldn't find any setting in the BIOS.
Joe

Hi Sonny, there are a couple of reasons your hypervisa could be turned off… in order;

You installed vm-ware on that system--- seriously they don't play nice together.

You moved (or changed the path to) the hdd where hyper-v stores its files.

Hardware failed--- this is very much a one in a million.

If it isn't one of the above then we need more info,

Is it the main hyper-v console or a sub-machine that stops working? For a sub machine, have you updated the cpu, network driver or antivirus because a new path through the firewall will then be needed.

I just installed VMware after I couldn't get Hyper-V to work. When I click on Windows 10 Preview to play it that is when I get the message. This was going on before I moved the files. It is the main hyper-v console.

First double check and confirm that your machine is configured and capable of running Hyper-V
open a command prompt and type
systeminfo
hit enter
read the bottom few lines for Hyper-V information.

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> Hyper-V-> Make sure everything is checked there.
You may need to reboot not sure but
Launch Hyper-V Manager and in the top right click "Start Service"

EDIT: When you run systeminfo in a command prompt. If hyper-v is configured properly then it should say this.

Hyper-V Requirements: A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

I guess I don't have it configured right. When running systeminfo I get the same info as I got the first time.

Edit: Trouble has this under control so I'll but out.

Sorry Sonny but if the error pops up when you try to open the windows X then that is a sub-system not the main hyper-v.

You can't have vmware and hyper-v on the same system--- there is no getting around this restriction however you can (and I do) run them both on the same physical machine with a dual boot i.e hyper-v on one and vmware on the other.

At this point I suggest you will have to un-install vmware then remove hyper-v from "programs and features" * and restart the system--- you must remove them in reverse order so do the vmware first.

When the system comes back up you re-activate (it isn't a real install per say) hyper-v and restart the system again.

Now do the "systeminfo" as Trouble suggested… note this must be an admin command console or it will disappear as soon as it finishes running.

* see screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot (35).png
    Screenshot (35).png
    143.9 KB · Views: 752
I don't have VMware on the machine any more. However I found this and not sure how to fix it.

Description: EFI Network
Value: Configuration Error
Firmware device path: \AcpiEx(VMBus,0,0)\VenHw(9B17E5A2-0891-42DD-B653-80B5C22809BA,635161F83EDFC546913FF2D2F965ED0EB4C5E3201BFF0541966DA4175F800795)\MAC(000000000000)

Can you double check and confirm that you no longer have any other Virtualization Software on your computer. No Virtual Box and as you've said no VM Ware Player or any other version of VMware.
Then open the services console
services.msc
Check to see the startup characteristics of the Hyper-V associated services.
And see what is running.

Hi trouble and ussnorway, I couldn't find any traces of the other software so I am going to reinstall Windows 8.1 and start from scratch. I will let you know what happens with hyper-v.

OK Sonny. Seems a bit drastic but it's your machine and your time so.....
Enjoy.
And yes, please keep us posted.
One question, have you ever had Hyper-V configured and up and running on this machine in the past?

Thanks Trouble, No, this is the first time I have used it. Just to let you know that didn't do any good. Just getting the one message that says hypervision is not running. About ready to give up on it.

Since your clean install, have you caught up all the Windows Updates yet?
Go to programs and features in the control panel and on the left click the link that says turn windows features on and off. Expand everything under Hyper-V and see if everything is checked or if some of the options are grayed out.

Looks good.
So when you start Hyper-V manager, in the top right do you see an option to start the service?
In the attached image mine is running so the option says stop services instead.

Attachments

• Hyper-V.PNG
    Hyper-V.PNG
    65.3 KB · Views: 843
How do you pull up the attached image like yours. I don't seem to have a way to do that.

Back