Windows 7 I can no longer pin folders to the taskbar.

Divran

I have a shortcut to "Libraries" on my taskbar. It's there by default and when I noticed you could pin stuff to it, I decided to make use of it instead of remove it. I right clicked the shortcut, and noticed the "recent" category. I right clicked two of those folders and pinned them there. Then, all I had to do to open those folders was to right click this "library" icon and then click the folders.

This was fine from the day I installed Win7 up to a few days ago, around about the same time I installed AVG Anti Virus 30 day trial (stupid piece of **** program - slowed down my entire computer, as well as my internet connection. Opening a page took over 5 minutes - not exaggarating).

Now, (I've uninstalled AVG) it just won't appear. I've tried pinning, repinning, unpinning, but when I right click the libraries icon, there's NOTHING there except "Windows Explorer" and "Unpin this program from taskbar". No pinned folders, no recent folders. Nothing.

What's wrong?

Last edited:
Not 100% certain because its a feature I don't personally use but it may be worth checking the following:-
R-click Taskbar, select Properties. In the Properties window, GoTo > Start Menu Tab and check that the Setting(s) in the Privacy box are activated.

If nothing else, it will keep you busy whilst waiting for the definitive answer!!

Last edited:
Not 100% certain because its a feature I don't personally use but it may be worth checking the following:-
R-click Taskbar, select Properties. In the Properties window, GoTo > Start Menu Tab and check that the Setting(s) in the Privacy box are activated.

If nothing else, it will keep you busy whilst waiting for the definitive answer!!
That's not what I'm having trouble with.

EDIT: Perhaps a picture can help you understand:
Link Removed due to 404 Error
There used to be a category called "Pinned" in there, but now it's gone.

This means that the ONLY folder I can pin to the taskbar is the library folder, which is completely useless.

Last edited:
Hello,

I apologize i guess i didn't understand the issue correctly. I see you mentioned about screenshot. Could attach it again. Do you used CCleaner or any maintenance software it tend to clear those items. And

1. Right-click on the Taskbar. Select properties.
2. Click on the Start Menu tab and "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" is that checked or unchecked ?

Hope this helps,
Captain

Hello,

I apologize i guess i didn't understand the issue correctly. I see you mentioned about screenshot. Could attach it again. Do you used CCleaner or any maintenance software it tend to clear those items. And

1. Right-click on the Taskbar. Select properties.
2. Click on the Start Menu tab and "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" is that checked or unchecked ?

Hope this helps,
Captain
Again, this is not about "recent" items. This is about pinning folders. Although my recent items are gone as well thanks to a suggestion to solve this problem in a different forum. But I believe that doesn't matter as since it doesn't update the recent lists now, it probably didn't before either.
And yes, that checkbox is checked.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

For anyone else who has this problem, here is how to fix it:

A friend of mine helped me by googling, and he got a hit. This is the thread:
Windows 7 Explorer jump list disappeared
A little way down in that thread is a post by Miguel_pt about going to %APPDATA% something and removing two folders. It worked perfectly for me.

Thread can be closed, if necessary.

Back