Windows 7 I could use some help choosing an internet connector

trog69

Fantastic Member
I am coming into possession of a gaming laptop to add to my gaming desktop. The desktop is connected to the cable modem, and I would like to also add the laptop to this setup, but I don't need whole house coverage, merely my room, itself. Is there a way to connect the laptop via some type of splitter for the cat5 ethernet connection? I have seen switches such as this one: Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEG-S50G Unmanaged 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit GREENnet Switch

but I'm unfamiliar with its usage and safety. I know I can go with a wireless router, but since it's just me, here usually, I don't want to spend $100 on a wireless router if I don't need it.

Thanks for any help.

Yes - all you need for what you describe is a layer 2 switch and the one in the link you provided will do the jobfor you. If all the switch ports are the same speed (and they probably are) then it doesn't matter which is used but if one is faster then the modem should connect to that one.

Last edited:
I received the switch in the link I provided above, but I'm still very confused. There is no "Main" plug in from the cable modem. Just 5 ethernet plug-ins. The instructions, what very tiny amount there is, only says to plug an ethernet cat6(which I also purchased) cable from a computer, into the switch. What am I missing here? The switch still needs internet from the modem, right? Do I just plug in the ethernet cable from the modem into one of the switch plug-ins as well?

Last edited:
Thank you, patcooke, for the quick response. I should have asked; is there a preferred plug-in? I presume they're all the same, but just in case.

Just as a followup; the switch method did not work. Any PC other than the first connected will not be recognized in an un-managed switch connection. I could get a connection for either unit, but both together resulted in only the first connected having success. I have now gone with a wireless router, for which I have a question posted in another thread.

Back
Top Bottom