Windows 7 I have a problem when I used Virtual PC to open a VHD file

Starr

Hi every guys,

I have installed a new computer with WIN7, and I wanted to restore the old computer's hard disk to the new one. Because the new computer dosen't has IDE port, so I couldn't installed the old hard disk(it has IDE port) to it. The following steps were what I had done, but it didn't work.
1. I have created a VHD file by Winimage software on the old one and copied it to new one.
2. I intalled Windows Virtual PC and XP module;
3. when I created a vitual machine on the VHD file that I copied from the old computer, it showed me there wasn't boot file;
4. Also, I have succeded to creat a winxp virtual machine on the new VHD file (it is created by the system), and I added the Virtual disk to it with the old VHD file, but I cann't open it in the Vitrual XP system.

So, is there anyone know what is wrong with my work, or how to finish it. Thanks.

Hello, and Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.

I'm a bit confused by the information you provided above, could you re-post with a little more clarification? :)
Thanks.

When i wanted to open it, it showed me that I needed to format it before I opened it.Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hello, and Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.

I'm a bit confused by the information you provided above, could you re-post with a little more clarification? :)
Thanks.
Yes.
The reason what I have done is that I want to use some software which only run in Winxp. So I want to use Vitrual XP machine to do it and it can save more time rather than reinstall all software that could run in old computer.

Strange..
Have moved the VHD from one computer to the other, or have you copied it?
I created the VHD file of the old computer's hard disk and copied it to the new computer. New computer runs Win7 and I want to use the VHD file in this system.

Last edited:
OK, that;s probably the reason, when you moved it to the new computer Windows doesn't recognize it (somewhat) and needs to format it, is there another way you could transfer the files over?

OK, that;s probably the reason, when you moved it to the new computer Windows doesn't recognize it (somewhat) and needs to format it, is there another way you could transfer the files over?

If you meet this situation, what will you do? How to fix this problem? Isn't there any way to transfer the old system to new win7 so easily?

When I meet situations like such, I simply reformat, obviously this probably is easier said than done for you.
As for a way to transfer, I don't really think there is, although have you tried using that VHD in Windows Virtual PC?

When I meet situations like such, I simply reformat, obviously this probably is easier said than done for you.
As for a way to transfer, I don't really think there is, although have you tried using that VHD in Windows Virtual PC?
I only want to use my software running in my old hard disk, so I tried imaged the old hard disk in a VHD file and copied it to my new computer, then I created a Virtual machine on my new computer and add the VHD file, but it wasn't regonized. It is my biggest problem.

Starr;
Don't know how or what you used to create the Virtual Hard Disk, but perhaps take a look at this article, I've used it before, and it worked for me. Make sure you follow the steps. Hope this helps
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8054...omputer-into-a-virtual-machine-with-disk2vhd/
Thank you so much, it is very useful and it is what i really need. I used Winimage software to creat the VHD file, but it wasn't regonized. I will try to use the method you gave and hope it will be OK.
Thank you again.
I love this forum.

I really hope it works for you. As I said, make sure you follow the steps accurately. And let us know how it works out.

I really hope it works for you. As I said, make sure you follow the steps accurately. And let us know how it works out.
I have done it by the steps, but when I ran this virtual machine with my VHD file, it was running with black screen and then power down. why?

Link Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Not sure, can't see your attachment, but, it would be my suspicion that you didn't choose to check the box "Fix up HAL for Virtual PC" read this from the Disk2Vhd help files
Virtual PC doesn't support the Multiprocessor Specification, which means that it won't be able to boot VHD's from multiprocessor Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 systems.
If you create a VHD from Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 and plan on booting the VHD within Virtual PC, select the "Fix up HAL for Virtual PC" option, which ensures that the HAL (Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer) installed in the VHD is compatible with Virtual PC.

I don't have my better hardware available right now, so my test that I just performed was using Virtual PC 2007, still a free download from Microsoft and works very well in Windows 7 after a couple updates, for those of us who don't have the necessary hardware for the latest virtualization offerings. So what I did was use Disk2vhd on another box, which dual boots Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 32bit Pro, from within Windows XP, while it was running. I then moved the test.vhd file to a local drive on my Windows 7 64bit Ultimate machine, opened Virtual PC 2007 and created a new machine, pointing it at the test.vhd file that I had just created. As you can see, it booted fine, albeit probably a little slower in a software environment. But it works as advertised. See attachment.

I am sure that I have check the box "Fix up HAL for Virtual PC" when I created the VHD file. I created a new virtual machine on this VHD file. then I ran it, but it ran nothing except black screen and then turn off. Also, I can't install Virtual PC 2007 which is not compatible on Windows 7. How to update it. I used the Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 including a Windows XP module and a Windows Virtual PC. It is the same as Virtual PC 2007 or not?

I have a big problem about it. First I created the VHD file on the old computer which was running on single processor. Then I moved it to the new computer which is running on multiprocessor with diferent hadware such as motherboard, harddisk, memory. So, is it the reason I can not boot the Virtual PC from the VHD file?

Back