Windows 7 I keep getting Blue Screens in Media Center, each one is different

brokenmonkey

I just built a Core i7 computer and installed Windows 7 RC x64 on it, and I keep getting a blue screen of death while using media center. It doesn't happen every time and it doesn't always happen at the same point, but a lot of times it happens when I'm in the "Edit Channels" page in the settings menu, and I'm trying to show a preview of the channel. I do get blue screens at other times but this is where it happens most often. It's not always the same error message, though. One said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, one mentioned fltmgr.sys, one mentioned Ntfs.sys, and one said 0x00000024. I've tried searching for solutions but nothing seems to apply to Windows 7 so hopefully somebody here can help me. I can post minidumps or whatever is needed for more information. Thanks.

Yo, well, if its different errors each time I would suspect a hardware problem. Reseat your RAM, default the BIOS.

Then check you have a good enough PSU - if it's light, it's crap is my favorite rule of thumb ;)

Are you running other large apps ok? games etc? or is it JUST MC? Did you do a clean install of W7? Was the PC running well before you put W7 on? Did you open the case and thus could have distrubed anything?

Sorry to hit you with a lot fo questions, but amybe one of them will put you in the right direction..

I'm assuming you have a TV Tuner?

Go to Control panel >< Device Manager and see if there are any yellow flags beside any entry

Those files are bother related to the file system and MS article is located here with a proposed solution:

Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Simply do a search for PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON PAGED_AREA and you'll get tons of hits.

Yo, well, if its different errors each time I would suspect a hardware problem. Reseat your RAM, default the BIOS.

I ran Memtest86+ and got no errors. I reset, and upgraded the BIOS and still get the problem.

Then check you have a good enough PSU - if it's light, it's crap is my favorite rule of thumb ;)

750W Power Supply, don't think that's the problem.

Are you running other large apps ok? games etc? or is it JUST MC? Did you do a clean install of W7? Was the PC running well before you put W7 on? Did you open the case and thus could have distrubed anything?

I get occasional BSODs at other times but not specifically large programs. I run games, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, After Effects, all without issue. I did a clean install of Windows 7, but since it was a freshly built PC I didn't install any other operating systems before 7. I ran Ubuntu off a CD without problems, but didn't do much with it (I was trying to solve another problem with it). I have had the case open but haven't bumped anything so I doubt that's the problem. I may try to install Vista and see if I still have a problem, but I'd like to keep using Windows 7 if possible.

I'm assuming you have a TV Tuner?

Go to Control panel >< Device Manager and see if there are any yellow flags beside any entry

Those files are bother related to the file system and MS article is located here with a proposed solution:

Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Simply do a search for PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON PAGED_AREA and you'll get tons of hits.

Thanks for the link, I did a Google search before posting here but I couldn't find a solution that worked for me. Nothing was specific to Windows 7, either. And I only got that specific BSOD once, so I think there's a bigger underlying problem. Yes, I have 3 TV tuners, but all the drivers are up to date and none of them are reporting issues in the Device Manager. It seems to happen when I am trying to show a preview of a QAM channel, but why would I be getting hard drive errors (ntfs.sys, fltmgr.sys) when tuning a channel?

Yes, I have 3 TV tuners, but all the drivers are up to date and none of them are reporting issues in the Device Manager. It seems to happen when I am trying to show a preview of a QAM channel, but why would I be getting hard drive errors (ntfs.sys, fltmgr.sys) when tuning a channel?

I understand you questioning the file system issue, but I need to ask:

You have 3 tuners, or is one a dual-tuner?
Are they in PCI slots?

You say drivers are up to date, but I highly doubt you have all Windows 7 drivers, correct?

How about more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32. then expand the Components tree and choose a device
Or download System Information Viewer
Or Download PC WIZARD 2008

Your motherboard make and model would be important.

Oh yeah, what is a QAM channel?

I understand you questioning the file system issue, but I need to ask:

You have 3 tuners, or is one a dual-tuner?
Are they in PCI slots?

You say drivers are up to date, but I highly doubt you have all Windows 7 drivers, correct?

How about more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32. then expand the Components tree and choose a device
Or download System Information Viewer
Or Download PC WIZARD 2008

Your motherboard make and model would be important.

Oh yeah, what is a QAM channel?

Two are PCI-E x1, one of those is in a PCI-E x4 slot, and the other tuner is in a PCI slot. The drivers were all Vista drivers so in theory they should also work in Windows 7, but no they're not specifically Windows 7 drivers.

My motherboard is an MSI X58 Pro, the TV tuners are: PowerColor ATI Theatre 550 Pro PCI-E x1 (NTSC only), VBox Cat's Eye DTA-150 PCI (ATSC only), and Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 PCI-E x1 (combo QAM/ATSC/NTSC). I also have an Intel Core i7 920 Processor, 6GB OCZ Platinum PC12800 DDR3 RAM, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Graphics Card, 2 Maxtor 250GB SATA Hard Drives in Raid 0, Seagate 1.5TB SATA Hard Drive, Plextor SATA DVD+/- R/RW Drive, and a Linksys 802.11G PCI Wireless Card.

QAM stands for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation and is a method of transmitting channels over cable. A Clear QAM tuner can decode all of the channels that are sent "in the clear", meaning they are unencrypted. These channels are usually the local channels in HD, while all the encrypted channels are the premium channels that require an HD cable box or CableCard to decode. The Hauppauge HVR-1250 is a combo QAM/ATSC/NTSC tuner that, when pugged in to cable as I have it, will display all analog channels and Clear QAM channels, though not simultaneously (since it is not a dual tuner).

If you want specific info from the System Information I can provide it, but the TV tuners were not listed nor was the motherboard info, so I provided as much info as I could off the top of my head.

I've found mixed reviews on your board, however it's far better than my $399.00 E-Machine that included a 22" widescreen.

I have a question....Are you over clocking?

I'll bet if you start removing each of your TV tuners, and compare all the results, you may find that one of those tuners is causing the problem.

I'd keep the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 PCI-E x1 (combo QAM/ATSC/NTSC) and try removing one of the other cards.

Doesn't the combo card have all the features you need? I'm just wondering why you need 3. Don't you have to constantly keep changing cables?

I've found mixed reviews on your board, however it's far better than my $399.00 E-Machine that included a 22" widescreen.

I have a question....Are you over clocking?

I'll bet if you start removing each of your TV tuners, and compare all the results, you may find that one of those tuners is causing the problem.

I'd keep the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 PCI-E x1 (combo QAM/ATSC/NTSC) and try removing one of the other cards.

Doesn't the combo card have all the features you need? I'm just wondering why you need 3. Don't you have to constantly keep changing cables?

I'm not overclocking yet. I'd like to have a stable system with all the bugs worked out before I start overclocking. I have multiple tuners so I can watch one show while recording others, or so I can record multiple shows at once. If anything it might be the 1250 causing problems because that is the card being activated when the BSODs occur, however it is the one that is most valuable to me so I would rather not get rid of it. I will try to replicate the BSOD then remove tuner cards to see if it is causing the problem, but I don't know how Media Center will react to missing tuner cards. I may just go back to Vista because I am also having problems keeping my Xbox 360 connected when using it as a Media Center Extender, and other tuner problems. Now that SP2 is out it also has QAM support.

Depending on you inputs and outputs, the WinTV should provide that capability.

Could you explain in better detail as to how the system is setup?

Cabling, such as video card (HDMI, DVI or monitor out), sound card capabilities (SPDIF or analog), etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on you inputs and outputs, the WinTV should provide that capability.

Could you explain in better detail as to how the system is setup?

Cabling, such as video card (HDMI, DVI or monitor out), sound card capabilities (SPDIF or analog), etc.

I don't really understand what you mean by "the WinTV should provide that capability." Are you saying it should be able to record multiple shows at once? It's not a dual tuner like the 2250, it is only a single combo tuner, so if I am using it for watching one channel I can't use it for anything else.

As for the setup, I have a DVI cable running in to a BenQ FP202W monitor and 4.1 surround sound coming from the onboard Realtek sound card to the green/black 3.5mm jacks, which lead to the subwoofer of a Creative 4.1 surround sound system. The motherboard is connected to the video card with an S/PDIF interconnect to provide audio through HDMI but I don't use HDMI, and the motherboard has an S/PDIF output which I don't use either.

Back