Windows 7 I need a motherboard

lostsoul65

Ihave an AMD 965 CPU and want to buy a mid-range motherboard for it, one I don’thave to flash the BIOS which is my problem now. I bought a cheap mobo and it works fine with a tinyCPU but when I drop a AMD 965 on it I couldn’t even get video so I’m betting Ineed a better mobo vs. having a bad CPU, it’s a gamble, but I’m not sure what tobuy. (I don’t have the tiny CPU anymore) I want good support and MSI has thatbut I have an AMD 955 computer with an Asus mobo which I like but can’t buy atFry’s Electronic because if I buy an mobo over the Internet, well I don’t havegood luck. Any suggestions?

Cheap mobo? Tiny CPU? AMD 965 cpu? What is your PSU? Under 500w? Drop a gold certified 85% 650w & I'll bet she'll scream!!

Ihave an AMD 965 CPU and want to buy a mid-range motherboard for it, one I don’thave to flash the BIOS which is my problem now. I bought a cheap mobo and it works fine with a tinyCPU but when I drop a AMD 965 on it I couldn’t even get video so I’m betting Ineed a better mobo vs. having a bad CPU, it’s a gamble, but I’m not sure what tobuy. (I don’t have the tiny CPU anymore) I want good support and MSI has thatbut I have an AMD 955 computer with an Asus mobo which I like but can’t buy atFry’s Electronic because if I buy an mobo over the Internet, well I don’t havegood luck. Any suggestions?
Uh, I don't mean to make things complicated. It seems that you should get together some information before you proceed as not to waste time and money. You can buy from the Internet. Reputable resellers may require stocking fee for returning. Some resellers od not accept returns. Returns cost money via shipping. What's your expenditure $ ceiling?

You need to match the components for your build so that you don't end up having to buy "more" later. Examples:
(a) Match the motherboard (MB) socket with your processor, so that you don't burn the processor or crush the processor's pin.
(b) Make sure the MB support your processor's speed.
(c) Do you have memory stick that will be supported by the MB? The memmory sticks on your old MB may not work.
(d) What type of hard drive do you have? If your hard drive(s) is an IDE, make sure the MB has IDE connectors.
(e) Does your processor requires additional power via the MB.
(f) Is your power supply adequate?
(g) To use your adapter boards (i.e. video), make sure the MB have matching slots.

So what do you do? (a) Select a MB matching the processor socket from a reseller, (b) do some preliminary component matching via the description, (c) go to the manufacturer's website and download the manual, (d) read and match up the components. Good Luck.

In response to Gnart:

(a) You can't burn a processor if it doesn't fit in the socket. You'll find it hard to bend/crush a CPU pin, unless you physically screw it up with your fingers.

(b) This doesn't make sense. If the socket matches and you have enough power, it'll work.

(d) Parallel ATA cables and ports - it's hard to find motherboard's/hard drive's configured in IDE mode now - most run in SATA.

(e) The processor will get it's power from the PSU.

(g) Chances are, it will - most, if not all, modern post 2011 motherboards will have both PCI and PCIe slots.

What I'd recommend:
AMD 965 uses AM3 socket -
Upcoming AM3 Motherboards and find your motherboards

In response to Gnart:

(a) You can't burn a processor if it doesn't fit in the socket. You'll find it hard to bend/crush a CPU pin, unless you physically screw it up with your fingers.

(b) This doesn't make sense. If the socket matches and you have enough power, it'll work.

(d) Parallel ATA cables and ports - it's hard to find motherboard's/hard drive's configured in IDE mode now - most run in SATA.

(e) The processor will get it's power from the PSU.

(g) Chances are, it will - most, if not all, modern post 2011 motherboards will have both PCI and PCIe slots.

What I'd recommend:
AMD 965 uses AM3 socket -
Upcoming AM3 Motherboards and find your motherboards

==> You'll find it hard to bend/crush a CPU pin, unless you physically screw it up with your fingers.
A slight misalignment of the pin, push the lever down and voila - straighten out a few.

==> If the socket matches and you have enough power, it'll work.
Nothing works if you don't have enough power... it depends on the hardware. 600W PSU on an old server couldn't drive my 12 older drives. It was intermittently rebooting, until I calculated the power requirements for RAM, peripherals and memory. New MBs (although few years now) hosting newer CPU has 4/6 pin power connector for this purpose. Try it: unplug that MB power connector and reboot.

I am not assuming anything else that he may/may not have since he only stated that he had a processor, nothing else about his existing RAM, case/PSU and peripherals... Just apprising him that he'll need to match up MB with other components as not to waste money.

Yes, because anyone would pull the lever down even if the processor didn't fit properly.

And that was what I was saying. If you have enough power, you can run it.

It's an AM3 socket processor. Factually, all AM3 or AM3+ boards will fit it, the main problem is power, since it is a 125W processor. I'd go with Rancher: 650W or bigger power. Perhaps an extra strong cooler?

Back