Windows 8 I sometimes wonder...

I sometimes wonder, especially since Windows 8.1, if people know or realize how or how much things can be maneuvered and manipulated @ or from the Switcher Bar; what I always call(ed) the APP Bar, Top-Left Corner.

>> Size & position of 3 items
>> Replace 1 of 2 APPs w/ Desktop or vice versa
There is more. Rt Clk on the Thumbnail of an Active APP sitting on the APP Bar and discover. Some of you may have no idea what is possible. Play around w/ 2 APPs (or more) & your Desktop and just see what is doable. Maybe, even, 2 APPs and a floating Desktop.

And, again, this is all whilst, actually, only, on Desktop... that constant hub of control & activity :)

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I doubt that everyone knows about that. Personally, I don't know much about manipulation because I am not interested. I just want to do things the way they were. :)

The thing is that windows 8 or 8.1 doesnt exactly make this clear, the lack of obvious visual cues is a big issue when using the desktop.
There must be something to be done about this behavior, while it may be okay in a tablet where touch is the main input its another clear mis translation to the desktop.
I think if something is running in the backdrop like a Metro app it should be indicated in the desktop front end no iffs ands or buts.
And putting it some obscure corner of the screen is not the right answer.
Its basically the same issue with Charms, if you dont know anything about the interface you have no clue where things are.

True, to a point... 8.1 does overtly tell a person about these things @ the initial use of a new 8.1 installation. The OS does provide 'How Tos', although, admittedly, one may need to look @ these to learn something. And, it's, also, why we bother to tell people helpful tips & info they may not otherwise immediately discover for themselves.

The Touch part or not, tablet or not part, doesn't mean much as this stuff all is just as doable w/ a mouse as it is w/ a finger.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Well yes there are tutorials now on 8.1, though they really should have done that in the first place.
And that is Microsofts biggest blunder in this situation, they just chucked out their brand spanking new OS on the public without any tutorial on how to use it.
Part of this I think is because Microsoft got cocky, people easily adapted to both windows 7 and to a point vista quite easily so why bother giving people instructions right?
Wrong, every OS should have some sort of indicator how it works.
And the thing is most OS's do, both OSX and windows have help files, even here in linux land we have wikis and countless community documentation.
But because the change between 7 and 8 is so drastic and dramatic Microsoft should have done something to aid people.
I think this guy summed up the base issue of Windows 8 quite nicely.

(warning contains some launguage)

Last edited:
Based on the pattern as we all know it, MS alternately creates a good and sucky OS. Maybe that is part of their business plan so that everyone would immediatly jump and buy the next one. It is the fastest way to make money as there is no return / refund for software like OS once you open up the packaging.

Eh but its a rather stupid thing to do if thast is the case.
When your product is used by the masses like this doing such bad miscalulations will hurt your reputation and make people look for alternatives or create their own (kind of what steam is doing when you think of it)

Back