Windows 7 I want to hide the recycle bin on the desktop

CURaven

actually I want to hide everything on the desktop.
BUT using ">right click on desktop>View>Show Desktop Icons (deselect)" to do that is tedious.

So if someone can point me in the way to creating a macro or tweak my registry for these two similar but kinda different tasks I would be very thankful.

PEACE!

Tedious? I have it done that way, works fine and only need to do it once. How could it be tedious?
Or do you want to be able to access the files on your desktop anyway, just not sdee any icons?

For that I have a desktop toolbar in my taskbar. Rightclick taskbar -> Toolbars -> Desktop.
This gives you a little link on the right of your taskbar saying "Desktop" with some arrows that give you a popup list of the files on your desktop.

To more clearly state my problem ... I simply want to see the desktop background all by itself and have the option of bringing any gadgets (like the clock or calender) back to the desktop on the occassion I needed to peek at them.

If I had a macro that shortened the right click blah blah blah steps into just one combination, that would be fantastical.

BTW there's the dashboard that does something similar on my girlfriend's macbook that would be work for me.

At any time feel free to tell me to get a mac.
I will ignore it.

Last edited:
There is a third party program out (Clear Desktop). But you have to buy it!

I do have a registry script for hiding the Recycle Bin, but when I removed the Sidebar, but no registry registry entry was changed regarding the Sidebar.

Do you want the registry script for removing the Recycle Bin?

No Recycle Bin Script

Copy and paste the lines below and open in Notepad, then choose Save As, click the drop-down box and choose All Fies and then manually enter the .reg

I've got it, tested on Windows7. Save as before, run the script, then right-click on you desktop and choose refresh or hit the F5 key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStaMenu]
"{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"**del.NoSaveSettings"=" "

You'll need and undo reg file as well, just take this lin::

and change it to:
"{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"=dword:00000000

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that tweak in my saved tips from about XP time?
Have you actually got it to work in 7?
I am no expert with regedit scripts, bu I cannot see how the last entry (Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"**del.NoSaveSettings"=" ")
can work.
It'll be interesting to see if anyone tries it. Not for me.

Hello davehc,

Yes, it does work in Windows7.

For some reason that last line is necessary (even I can't explain why), but if you leave that line out you'll get a mesa sage that states:
Cannot import hiderecylebin.reg: The specified file is not a registry script
You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

I Tried the registry hack on both my 32 and 64 bit editions of windows 7 beta 7000 and both failed miserablly. I'm sorry to say that i have to agree with davehc on this one. There is no way it works.

I am very appreciative of the interest this has generated.
Has anyone had any experience with writing macros for something of this nature? I wouldn't be completely happy with just wiping the desktop clean. I can do that already.

I want to be able to switch between

• an icon/gadget free desktop and
  • seeing my gadgets at a glance.
I'm also curious about Microsoft's interest in our feedback on customization. Is there a good place to provide them feedback like this? I haven't found it.

What was the error message you received, if any?

The only thing I can think of it's that it's due to the 64-bit version. I just tested it again and it worked fine.

Try opening regedit and look at all the entries under this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons and look over the values to see if matches the registry script I posted.

There is no way it works.

It works fine on my 32-bit edition.

What error message do you receive?

I noticed in these postings that a key has a space between it. When I post the registry script it look fine, but then I notice some lines are wrapped, like this:
Curre ntVersion

If this is the case, make sure to load it into your text editor and make sure word wrap is not on and that there is no space between the Curre ntVersion

It should read
CurrentVersion

So DaveHC can we give that XP tweak a try. The reg. edit was too risky for me.
The XP tweak is also a reg file. Very similar. But it would not work with Windows 7 or Vista, as the paths would be wrong.

Reghakr. No error message, it just did not work.
Frankly, I cannot see how it can work by putting it in Curre nt. What the heck is that?
Anyway, maybe a 32 bit operator can report back??

davehc I have tested the registry hack on BOTH my 32 and 64 bit versions of windows 7 beta build 7000 and both have failed and did not work.

Frankly, I cannot see how it can work by putting it in Curre nt. What the heck is that?

Please look again at my post.

This is not my fault, it's the way the forum presented the information.

When I posted ,it looked fine with no space between the file.

davehc I have tested the registry hack on BOTH my 32 and 64 bit versions of windows 7 beta build 7000 and both have failed and did not work.

Please give it a try using the method I just posted

I already have and the same result happens. It does nothing to my desktop or anything after making the changes and restarting. Sorry but im gonna say this is not a good idea to try.

Back