Windows 7 Icons not appearing at all

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
Let's see now, when I install new programs the icons do not appear. Just a blank icon appears on the Desktop and in the start menu. I can change them from right click on the blank icon properties but, only after I reboot. What the heck gives with 64 bit Vista? Never saw this with 32 bit Vista.

Hi- You don't have "Object Desktop" installed do you ? Sounds like one of those stardock problems. Anything on your computer called "Ultra VNC" ? (something about a bad mirror driver causing black icons)

Thank you,
that did a lot more than I expected it to do. It even brought the temperatures back to a much more reasonable level. I like Stardocks stuff but, I got a feeling your right it does not really work with the 64 bit os yet.

After answering questions over the last 6 months I've found that Vista 64 has a serve problem with Personalization (Stardock etc) and Icons. The patches didn't work after SP1, Vista 64 Ultimate was severely affected. Ultimate is delicate on that subject.

Beginning to understand that more and more each day. It also does not always run even every 32 bit software. But, like you say finicky. I also noticed another problem, that some wallpaper just does not look right in 64bit Vista.

What kind of picture distortions are we talking about ? Any pictures ? Are you trying to run 32 bit programs on a 64 ? I was slightly interested in upgrading to Ultimate, but too many problems with endless looping. A real royal pain figuring those out.

Back