Windows 8 Icons not displaying an actual picture just a white paper?

DWreck

Some icons no matter where they are located don't display there actual picture but a white paper instead. Most of the time it only happens if I put it in a folder.

Folder Error.PNG

And sometimes even on the desktop.

Desktop Error.PNG

I would really not like to have to set the icon up manually, because Windows is supposed to do that on its own, and also because they are adding up!

Now for the testing done so far. It seems that for the desktop problem if you copy instead of right click "send to" then the icon will show up when you paste it, but it will say "Copy" in the name on the icon, if I edit it and delete the word "Copy" and click out of it to save then the icon reverts back to the paper. This trick has no effect with the folders however.

Desktop Trick with Copy.PNG It actually has "Copy" written in it but the text is to long so you just see the "..."

Also this issue only happens to the shortcuts of the actual file, and only on random files. If I were to go to Program Files and find the folder then "Move" the icon to the desktop then it works fine.

Moving the Icon Does Show the Image.PNG

But in the folder that contains the actual file then icon is missing, it only appears when I "Move" it to the desktop

Program Files Folder Doesn't Show Icon.PNG

So I don't really understand whats going on? This is really weird. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! If you have any questions or need anything from me don't hesitate to ask.

Hi,

are you sure it's not down to how your icons/files/folders are being displayed in File Explorer? See screenshot on how to change them:

icons.jpg

Hi,

are you sure it's not down to how your icons/files/folders are being displayed in File Explorer? See screenshot on how to change them:

View attachment 1422
Thanks for the reply, well I can tell you how that did help. It took away the folder only ones, basically because they are being shown as they would on the desktop and they already worked there just not in folders. But the ones that don't work on the desktop still don't work there.

Can you send a screenshot?
If you mean a Screenshot of them not working in the "Tile" Config, then sure.

Tile Config.PNG

As you can see I currently have 2 Programs with the Issue. If this isn't what you wanted then could you please explain a bit more? Thanks.

Thank you.

Have you been using a registry cleaner or anything like that? Perhaps your icon cache has become corrupt? If you open up file explorer, click 'View', tick the check box for 'Hidden' and then navigate to C:, Users, Your name, Appdata and then local. You'll see the icon cache near the bottom.
Delete it and reboot.
Hopefully that will bring everything back to how it was..

Thank you.

Have you been using a registry cleaner or anything like that? Perhaps your icon cache has become corrupt? If you open up file explorer, click 'View', tick the check box for 'Hidden' and then navigate to C:, Users, Your name, Appdata and then local. You'll see the icon cache near the bottom.
Delete it and reboot.
Hopefully that will bring everything back to how it was..
Sorry for the late reply... I did delete the Icon Cache but it didn't change anything when I rebooted.

Hi,

right click in bottom left hand corner and from the revealed menu click command prompt (admin). Once opened type:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it scan. If it finds corrupt files it will attempt to repair them.

If that fails then you could create a new profile and copy all your settings from the old to the new. This Microsoft help page will show you how:

Fix a corrupted user profile

Hi,

right click in bottom left hand corner and from the revealed menu click command prompt (admin). Once opened type:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it scan. If it finds corrupt files it will attempt to repair them.

If that fails then you could create a new profile and copy all your settings from the old to the new. This Microsoft help page will show you how:

Fix a corrupted user profile
The CMD Scan didn't work. So I just did the new profile thing. It worked, but I don't know for how long. Thanks for the help!

Glad you got things sorted and do post back if you need further help.. :)

Back