Windows 7 IDE DVD drive/burner not showing up in windows 7

Balfarg

I have an IDE DVD multi reader/burner (Pioneer DVR-118L) that is showing up in the bios fine I think (I can select it as the first boot drice - it's listed with brand name and everything in the bios) However it doesn't appear in Device Manager or Disk Manager or anything in Windows 7.

I have multiple hard drives in my computer - I had Windows Vista installed on one and I installed Windows 7 Professional on a blank hard drive. The DVD drive worked fine in Windows Vista, and I used it to install Windows 7 on the blank hard drive. I could boot from the disk fine but the installer would not work initially because it said it needed a driver for the DVD drive - I read this may be because it is an upgrade installer only. So, I ran the installer from my Vista installation and it worked fine installing Windows 7, but the drive has never worked within Windows 7. I don't recall ever having to install driver software for the drive when I installed Vista. I was under the impression that optical drives didn't even need drivers.

Back