Windows 7 Info regarding Upgrade Media..

First post. I found this thread and site by googling "installing windows 7 fresh upgrade" and I'm very excited to try this when I build my i7 system in the coming weeks. Great find!

Since Windows 7 has been out for 4 days now, and upgrade copies have been sold (I have my eye on an educationally priced Windows 7 Pro for $30) has anyone tried this little "hack" on Windows 7? I know the installers for 7 and Vista aren't that much different, but I'm just curious as to whether or not this little trick works on 7.

Thanks in advance,
Shiggity

It Worked for me! Yes, I have a legit copy of XP Media center OEM, but I wanted to see if it would accept 2000 Pro as "proof". That was rejected, so I tried this "trick". I am up and running, and so far I like it better than any windows yet.
AN8 mobo; Athlon single core, 64-bit 3500+ @2.4ghz: 4gig RAM, RAM is Corsair XMS 400 speed; can only get Windows to "see" 2.5gig RAM. I have 3.4 Windows experience, I had 3.5 with RC-build 7100!
Thank you, Radenight

I just did the "upgrade" as well. Had Windows 7 RC 32bit, booted from the upgrade disk and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. No problems at all.

Has anyone here read the End User License Agreement?

<this message has been deleted>

This validates your W7 upgrade key after a clean install a lot more rapidly than by re-installing W7.
To start off, click on Start and search "regedit". Run it as admin (right click - run as administrator) and follow these steps:

expand - HKEY_Local_MACHINE
expand - SOFTWARE
expand - Microsoft
expand - Windows
expand - CurrentVersion
expand - Setup
Click on: OOBE
Double click on: MediaBootInstall
Enter "0" as Value Data, check the base is haxadecimal and click "OK"

Then open the cmd-prompt - click on start and type "cmd" in search and run as admin (right click - run as administrator)
Type the following: Note there is a space before "slmgr" and another before "-rearm"

cscript.exe slmgr.vbs -rearm

Once the command is entered, press "ENTER", restart the computer and activate your valid key (Start - right click on computer - Properties).
This tip was provided to me through customer support so its super-legal!
Best regards.

For what its worth; I built a new computer for a friend and all he had was the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade he had pre-purchased back in March.

I installed it without a hitch at all! No problems, no asking for previous CD or product key. This was a total new clean install also! Plus I didn't have to use any of the registry hacks listed on the Paul Thurrott Super WinSite.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Back