Windows Vista Install freezes at Set up Windows

zealocracy

Windows 7 install freezes every time at the set up windows part of the install.

All the files are installed and the system restarted two or three times, says it is starting windows7 for the 1st time and then begins to ask for my user name and regional settings/ product key info. It will crash anywhere on these screens depending on how fast I try to click through them. and always freezes in the 1st 30 seconds of starting.

I have burned two copies of the disc with the same problem, also got two different versions (7100 and 7232 i believe) burned at 4x, & verified. all four installs on both discs freeze at the same place. The installs are on a clean 300gb sata drive, one tried without a partition, the others with a quick format (1 partition). I triend installing from windows xp and directly from startup on the DVD. I tried booting safe mode, unplugging all unecesary external devices, used ps2 mouse/keyboard, as well. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what to try next and think I'm all out of options.

Anyone got any Ideas?

OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition
Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790
System Name ZEALOCRACY
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7280
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~3116 Mhz
Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~3116 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.8, 11/2/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"
User Name ZEALOCRACY\Administrator
Total Physical Memory 6,143.14 MB
Total Virtual Memory 7.61 GB

ATI Raedon HD 3600 series Video card
MSI k9a Platinum motherboard

PS: I ran the compatibility program on my vista partition, said everything was good

I was just about to post to see if you had tried this:

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

If the above checks out ok then perhaps it's worth just checking your harware. 7 uses RAM in a different way to XP and if there are any problems with it the 7 may be picking up on that. Try running this app to check everything is ok..
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Only test one stick at a time as more than one can mask errors..

Back
Top Bottom