Windows 7 Install Problem from XP to Windows 7!!

Automatik

I am trying to install the Windows 7 RC 64-bit as a fresh install. I am coming from a Windows XP Home Edition. I backed up all my important data and restarted and booted to the Windows 7 RC DVD. I chose custom install and then formatted the partition (only took like 5 seconds. Strange) and continued with the install. It took about ~20 minutes and then restarts. The installation reads "Completing Installation" and then auto-restarts again. This time, I get the screen that says Windows was shut down incorrectly and it gives me the option to start in safe mode or normal. I start in normal (and tried safe mode) and then when Windows 7 loads up I get a message that says "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click OK to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." Anybody have success beating this problem?

PS. I ran the Windows 7 Advisor program and passed.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2gb DDR2 Ram
350gb Hard Drive
NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT
Creative Sound Blaster Live

Last edited:
Just wanted to update everyone. I fixed the issue and was able to get a successful install by upgrading my BIOS to the most recent stable version. My MOBO is a ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe.

ASUS M2N32 BIOS upgrade

Automatik,
We have the same motherboard and the same type of CPU. I saw your post a few hours ago, and I've been having a hard time finding the BIOS upgrade. I found a version of our BIOS on ASUS' website, 2205, but it came in a .BIN file, and I think the EZ Flash tool was expecting a .ROM file. Any help (the link you used, I hope?) you can offer would be very appreciated. I hope you revisit your thread!

Also, I've seen some posts about OCZ memory having trouble with the Windows 7 installation. What kind of RAM do you have? Pretty sure I have OCZ...

Thanks for reading!
Jeff

Hey, I think I didn't have the USB drive in during boot, so it wasn't finding the .BIN file, which I interpreted as it filtering out file types it couldn't use. I tried it again after about two hours of other failed attempts, and it found the .BIN file. I hope this works, I'm so tired of fighting with my computer...

Thanks for the BIOS update tip!
Jeff

Last edited:
Hey, I think I didn't have the USB drive in during boot, so it wasn't finding the .BIN file, which I interpreted as it filtering out file types it couldn't use. I tried it again after about two hours of other failed attempts, and it found the .BIN file. I hope this works, I'm so tired of fighting with my computer...

Thanks for the BIOS update tip!
Jeff

Onken,

2205 is indeed the version that I upgraded too and it was a .BIN file. I too had the same concern (that it was looking for a .ROM) and when I put the .BIN on a flash drive, the EZ FLASH application in the BIOS was not recognizing it. However I noticed that the EZ FLASH was recognizing my external backup hard drive so I put the .BIN file on there and upgraded. So basically, my flash drive was not being seen by the EZ FLASH utility. If you have an external hard drive, try putting it on there.

Auto

Back