Windows 7 installation is freezing instantly - last driver loaded is disk.sys

benfolds

Hi!

i have a problem while installing Windows 7 (new installation).

After booting from CD rom i see a loading bar 2 times (1st runs fast, second takes a while), saying "windows is loading files". then the screen switches to "starting windows" and freezes.. i've waited over 30 min., but nothing happens .
sometimes i get a blue screen, saying "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO", with error code "STOP 0x00000074"

when starting in safe mode, it always get stuck while loading disk.sys

My configuration:

mainboard:ASUS P5P43TD Pro (also tried a ASUS P5E3)
CPU Intel Core2 Quad
Graphic: Nvidia Gforce 9800 GTX (also tried ASUS EN 8600GT)

8 GB ram (2x2, Buffalo and OCZ DDR3 1333)

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, Build date 10. March 2010

All Bios setup options left as default, just changed the sata to raid (mirror)

You see, i tried different hardware configs and changed RAM.. but its always the same error... does anybody have a clue?!
Thanx alot for your help!!

Did the install finish? you saying safe mode, you don't have that till it completes installation so forget that
There is a possibility you need to have the raid drivers on a usb stick and point the setup there to install drivers, otherwise you inject them into your install DVD

Nope, i never installed it.. i never care over that point after the two loading bars... but hitting f8 shows me the menue with safe mode

Is the drive clean? previous os or something?
F8 not going to help you, I can get that right now in a VM at same point you are, you most likely need drivers for some of your stuff

Do you mean the intel raid driver? How do i import that? Is it possible via usb stick? Any shortcut required?

Go to Mobo wesite and get all the drivers
Create a folder called Drivers
Extract each into a separate folder. They must be extracted where the .inf file is showing.
Copy that to a usb stick.

Copy below and rename to AutoUnattend.xml and place this on the usb
This is just an example so change to what you need.
EDIT: Usually just the <Path> is needed

HTML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="windowsPE">
        <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            <DiskConfiguration>
                <WillShowUI>Always</WillShowUI>
            </DiskConfiguration>
        </component>
        <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsWinPE" processorArchitecture="x64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            <DriverPaths>
                <PathAndCredentials wcm:keyValue="FastTrak_376-378_RAID" wcm:action="add">
                <Path>%configsetroot%\Drivers\FastTrak_376-378_RAID</Path>
                </PathAndCredentials>
                <PathAndCredentials wcm:keyValue="Promise_SATA378_IDE" wcm:action="add">
                <Path>%configsetroot%\Drivers\Promise_SATA378_IDE</Path>
                </PathAndCredentials>
            </DriverPaths>
        </component>
    </settings>
</unattend>
When it boots it should read the xml stick and see these paths.
By using this setting, you can add boot-critical and non boot–critical drivers to your Windows image before it is installed.
No Usb? Burn same to a floppy or CD

Last edited:
If the issue doesn't prove to be driver related, have you performed a chkdsk on your drive to ensure the issue is not hardware related?

You don't need to create an AutoUnattend.xml file, as you can load the RAID drivers using the "Load Drivers" option when Windows asks you which partition you want to install on.

I installed the correct drivers for the RAID and still have the same freeze after disk.sys was displayed when booting in Safe Mode.

But I suspect it is what is loaded after disk.sys that is the problem - but what is that?

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...irst-reboot-following-install.html#post156899

You don't need to create an AutoUnattend.xml file, as you can load the RAID drivers using the "Load Drivers" option when Windows asks you which partition you want to install on.
If you don't make it that far then?

I used to get similar crashes with XP with my Sata driver and then I injected the drivers into the I386 so they are available immediately.
The xml is just another option to try because it reads it instantly.
I've done many installs with Vista and Win 7 tweaking my Unattended app.

I tried generating my own AutoUnattend.xml file based on the XML given in this thread and Windows 7 just said it was invalid.

There must be an AutoUnattend file generator somewhere? As editting your own XML using textpad seems very complicated.

I tried generating my own AutoUnattend.xml file based on the XML given in this thread and Windows 7 just said it was invalid.

There must be an AutoUnattend file generator somewhere? As editting your own XML using textpad seems very complicated.
are you 64 bit? I made a mistake make x64 read amd64. if not just change where it says x64 to x86, who I was replying to said 64
open it with notepad and make sure there isn't any garbage, wordpad adds garbage and not sure about textpad.

That xml worked for me in vm, started reading usb stick right about Setup is Starting
setup.png
Yes I believe I have the fullest xml file creator but it comes with a big program for doing almost everything Unattended.
xml sample here Ask your Seven xml ? here - MSFN Forums

Last edited:
8 GB ram (2x2, Buffalo and OCZ DDR3 1333)

You have two different brands of RAM, I had the same issue when I was using two brands of RAM also. I would have to take out one brand and leave the other in.

Then I would reboot and it would install fine.

Are you doing a clean install or an upgrade install over Vista?

Are both SATA drives the same brand and model in your RAID configuration?

I removed 2GB of the 4GB or RAM and tested each 2GB memory module independently using the advanced memory test from memtest.org - both modules passed the test.

However, when using the memory test with the 2GB modules together in the motherboard (2 x 2GB = 4GB), the memory test fails starting at location 1606.9MB which is in the first 2GB. This would indicate a faulty motherboard?

I tried reinstalling Windows 7 on just 2GB of RAM. Same problem occurs at disk.sys.

I changed the BIOS setup so controlling of the harddrives was IDE instead of RAID and reinstalled Windows 7 - Same problem occurs at disk.sys.

I then used a 250 GB IDE harddisk and disconnected the 2TB drives from the motherboard. I reinstalled Windows 7 on the 250GB IDE hard disk and the same problem occurs at disk.sys.

I installed ubuntu linux on the 250GB IDE hard disk and reconnected the two 2TB hard disks. Ubuntu works successfully and can format the two 2TB harddisks. I also installed the graphics card driver for the Gigabyte NVidia 9800 successfully and it was recognised.

The graphics card and hard disks are working, but there appears to be some kind of address or data bus issue with the motherboard considering the memory test problems I highlighted in the first paragraph.

Well, you have tried enough senarios to eliminate many possibilities, but I will list them later. Are you sure your copy of Win 7 is good? Have you made sure you are using the SATA ports on the primary SATA controller and not the additional one? I would not think you would get a disk.sys error on both SATA and IDE hard drives..but I certainly could be wrong.

Do you have any external devices connected?

The double white line may be an indication of something. I do remember seeing that on occasion, but I haven't done an install in a while and cannot remember for sure.

My first guess would be the memory, or bad install media...

Things you already tried-----
As Nibiru2012 mentions, someone in another thread got past the problem by using less RAM.
You know the OS cannot be installed on a partition larger than 2 TB.
Where are you getting the Build Date for you OS?

Yes, I've got two copies of Windows 7 which I purchased, I've used both DVDs.

I did get Ubuntu linux to install on a 250GB harddisk.

In that it could see the 2 x 2TB hard disks and format them.

Although the memory tests (see memtest.org) pass when I test each 2GB DIMM seperately in the board, the tests fail when I test the DIMMs in the board together in the first 2GB which is weird.

Graphics card was also detected.

New motherboard ordered. The only way to know is to change the motherboard - different make this time and AMD 870 instead of AMD 770.

Are you sure you have the right voltage set for the memory modules in use? Visit the manufacturer's page for the precise voltage inteneded for the modules and then adjust bios accordingly.

Another good point, but the memory is detected automatically by the motherboard. The RAM is 1.5V, so it can't go much lower ;)

I have another machine with the same motherboard and memory which is working perfectly.

I'm replacing the motherboard, will post the outcome of that....

Many times, the spd of the memory is not applied well with auto settings. Not really a lowering, we're looking at a possible raise in voltage needed. Especially with OCZ in use. Another problem may be the mismatching of different RAM in use.

Still recommend same as my last post unitl you're sure it's set right.

Btw, disk.sys is just the last driver loaded in safe mode then it goes to desktop. So, it has been loading all the drivers in completion for you.

Last edited:
I rebooted safe mode and disk.sys loaded and then classpnp.sys was last
let us know how the mobo does

Back