Windows 8 Installation problem - Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

wraveuk

I've tried upgrading my machine three times now and have no clue what is happening.
It keeps on failing at around 96% on the finalizing stage and reverting back to windows 7.
"We cannot Install Windows 8 your machine has been reset to the way it was before"
Soon as it hits 96%, my monitor turns itself on standby for a good 25-30 seconds, and then comes back on once windows 7 has been reset. I thought this might have something to do with my display driver. But I can't see any reason for it.
Maybe its a problem with my GPU. But I've searched the web and found no issues with it and windows 8.
Before installation I uninstalled all incompatible drivers and applications. Even ran the upgrade assistant again after each failure just to be sure everything was done. And always says i'm ready for installation.

Here's my specs if its a hardware problem,

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
cpu - i5 3570k Ivy Bridge
mobo - Asus P8Z77-V LX (I've uninstalled AI Suite and USB 3.0 drivers) because they weren't compatible.
ram - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
hdd - 1TB SATAIII 3 6.0Gb/s
gpu - EVGA 2GB Superclocked GTX 660 ti

Thankyou

I've tried upgrading my machine three times now and have no clue what is happening.
It keeps on failing at around 96% on the finalizing stage and reverting back to windows 7.
"We cannot Install Windows 8 your machine has been reset to the way it was before"
Soon as it hits 96%, my monitor turns itself on standby for a good 25-30 seconds, and then comes back on once windows 7 has been reset. I thought this might have something to do with my display driver. But I can't see any reason for it.
Maybe its a problem with my GPU. But I've searched the web and found no issues with it and windows 8.
Before installation I uninstalled all incompatible drivers and applications. Even ran the upgrade assistant again after each failure just to be sure everything was done. And always says i'm ready for installation.

Here's my specs if its a hardware problem,

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
cpu - i5 3570k Ivy Bridge
mobo - Asus P8Z77-V LX (I've uninstalled AI Suite and USB 3.0 drivers) because they weren't compatible.
ram - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
hdd - 1TB SATAIII 3 6.0Gb/s
gpu - EVGA 2GB Superclocked GTX 660 ti

Thankyou

Hi,
I merged your posts to save confusion. Is it possible for you to try a clean install instead of an upgrade?

Sorry I accidently posted twice :)

I guess I could backup all my files onto an external hdd. But can I do a clean install (keeping no files) from the electronic upgrade?
I don't have a CD or anything, would that still be the same thing? Sorry i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to things like this.
Just rather not run into the same problem, after transferring tons of files. thankyou

Later today, I will have a system with the same motherboard and processor as you.

I will not have an Nvidia card, however. Have you thought about removing its drivers, and uninstalling the card and just use the onboard video?

There should be some logs in an $windows type of folder, which may be hidden. I understand a Rollback folder may hold some logs you could check, setupact.log and setuperr.log might give you some clues....

Later today, I will have a system with the same motherboard and processor as you.

I will not have an Nvidia card, however. Have you thought about removing its drivers, and uninstalling the card and just use the onboard video?

There should be some logs in an $windows type of folder, which may be hidden. I understand a Rollback folder may hold some logs you could check, setupact.log and setuperr.log might give you some clues....

I did check the list in the upgrade assistant and found that my latest nvidia driver/graphics card is compatible with W8.

But thanks mate, i'll try find that folder now. But if no luck, i'll downgrade to the integrated graphics like you say for the time being and try another install. :) I'll keep you posted.

You won't like this, but my board upgraded with no problems.

I was told to uninstall the Intel USB 3.0 controllers, the Asmedia USB 3.0 were not mentioned. Also Microsoft Security Essentials needed to be uninstalled.

My system is not very complicated, and I have no external devices, except the Mouse and Keyboard plugged in...

I have to laugh though, about your saying it was failing at 96%. I must have seen 6 or 7 percentage markers during the upgrade. The last one was Moving Settings, since I chose to keep everything. But on the initial screen, it does go from about 90% and reboots suddenly. Some stages do take some time to complete, and if your system is more complicated than mine, it may take quite a bit longer.

You won't like this, but my board upgraded with no problems.

I was told to uninstall the Intel USB 3.0 controllers, the Asmedia USB 3.0 were not mentioned. Also Microsoft Security Essentials needed to be uninstalled.

My system is not very complicated, and I have no external devices, except the Mouse and Keyboard plugged in...

I have to laugh though, about your saying it was failing at 96%. I must have seen 6 or 7 percentage markers during the upgrade. The last one was Moving Settings, since I chose to keep everything. But on the initial screen, it does go from about 90% and reboots suddenly. Some stages do take some time to complete, and if your system is more complicated than mine, it may take quite a bit longer.

I have upgraded now.
Just needed to put my HDMI into my dedicated graphics instead, uninstall my GTX 660 ti driver, and tried it again.
Though I did a clean install instead and backed up on an external. Job done.

Your idea worked mate using onboard video. Then just re-installed my gpu driver once I was done :) thankyou

Back