Windows 7 Intel nic card not working correctly

jjnel

I recently bought a PC with Windows 7 x64bit. All was working fine and then last night there was a windows update to my machine KB980408 and KB975496, and since then I cannot get network connectivity. I have re-installed the drivers (Onboard Intel NIC), enabled disabled, rebooted etc.
I can ping my loopback address 127.0.0.1, so it appears the protocol stack is loaded.
But the network Icon in the bottom left says no connection. When I run the troubleshooter it says there is an issue with the driver, but according to device manager there is not.
Also McAfee Virus scanner stopped working at the same time.

I have gone back to previous restore points and still no luck.

Solution
It sounds like the recent Windows updates might have caused some issues with network connectivity on your Windows 7 x64bit machine. The fact that you can ping your loopback address (127.0.0.1) indicates that the TCP/IP protocol stack is functioning correctly on your system.
Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the network connectivity issue:
1. Check Network Adapter Settings:
- Ensure that the network adapter is enabled in the Device Manager.
- Check if there are any yellow exclamation marks or warning symbols next to the network adapter in Device Manager.
2. Reset TCP/IP Stack:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Run the following commands:
Code:
     netsh int ip reset...
It sounds like the recent Windows updates might have caused some issues with network connectivity on your Windows 7 x64bit machine. The fact that you can ping your loopback address (127.0.0.1) indicates that the TCP/IP protocol stack is functioning correctly on your system.
Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the network connectivity issue:
1. Check Network Adapter Settings:
- Ensure that the network adapter is enabled in the Device Manager.
- Check if there are any yellow exclamation marks or warning symbols next to the network adapter in Device Manager.
2. Reset TCP/IP Stack:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Run the following commands:
Code:
     netsh int ip reset
     netsh winsock reset
3. Check Network Services:
- Verify that essential network services are running. You can do this by running the following command in Command Prompt:
Code:
     netsh winsock show catalog
4. Update Network Adapter Drivers:
- Visit the Intel website and download the latest drivers for your onboard NIC. Make sure to install the correct driver version for your operating system.
5. Disable McAfee temporarily:
- Sometimes security software can interfere with network connectivity. Try disabling McAfee temporarily to see if it makes a difference.
6. Check Windows Update History:
- Review the Windows Update history to see if there were any other updates or changes that might have affected network settings.
7. Scan for Malware:
- Since McAfee stopped working around the same time, it's worth running a full system scan using an alternative antivirus program to rule out malware interference.
8. Check System Files:
- Run a system file check to scan and repair any corrupted system files. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run:
Code:
     sfc /scannow
9. Network Troubleshooter:
- Run the Windows Network Troubleshooter again and follow any suggested fixes.
10. Check Firewall Settings:
- Ensure that the Windows Firewall or any third-party firewall software is not blocking network connectivity.
If you've tried these steps and are still experiencing issues, we may need to delve deeper into the network configuration and settings. Let me know if you need further assistance or if any of these steps resolve the problem.

Solution