Windows 7 Intermittent Boot Failure

mojoman317717

Running Windows 7 in a RAID 0, and periodically I will get a boot failure error with the message No default or UI configuration directive found. This usually happens if I do some kind of heavy maintenance on my system. For example I might remove my graphics card or cpu cooler to blow the dust out of it. The other day I replaced the RAM and that triggered it. After doing those kinds of things inevitably when I go to restart I get this boot failure and message. So I go through the same process every time of booting to my Windows 7 repair disc and running automatic startup repair and most times that fixes it on the first attempt, but sometimes it takes 2-3 runs of the repair tool before it will boot normally again.

I googled the phrase "No default or UI configuration directive found" and found very little on this issue pertaining to Windows 7. Seems to be a big problem for Ubuntu users and people trying to boot to USB devices.

Can someone help me with this? I feel like I'm always walking on thin ice with this system. I've done it so many times now that I'm almost accustomed to it, but it's actually got me pretty nervous.

Help please.

Any chance there is a loose connection somewhere that happens when you open the system?

Are you running an Intel chipset so you could check the Array to make sure it is operating properly?

When you do this maintenance, are you disconnecting power from the system? Have you checked your bios settings, after you have such a problem to see if any changes, like drive order, were made?

Concerning the connections, I've been through the system with a fine tooth comb and never found anything.

Yes, it is an Intel chipset. How do I check the array for correct operation? I'm not familiar with that process.

Obviously the system is off, but not unplugged. Does that make a difference? The bios shows no issues. The RAID bios posts as normal and both drives are shown in their proper order.

Would really love more help on this issue. For the first time now it produced the error on an ordinary restart. My video editor glitches periodically and a simple restart usually cares for the problem, and that's when it happened. It's never done that before. I'm concerned that somehow the problem is getting worse, though I have no other reason to think it is. Except for this one issue, my system runs great.

Anyone, thoughts please??

To check your array, there should be an Intel manager in the system tray. If you look at it, there should be a message if a problem were to be present. But I don't run RAID, so I really can't give you any details.

In Disk Management, does the array show as one drive? Just guessing and fishing for info.... ;)

OH, that array! Sorry, but I don't think of my little 2 disc RAID 0 as an array, but I guess it is. The array is perfect. Like I said, there is nothing else apparently wrong with my system. It runs fast, and does everything flawlessly except for this stupid and seemingly unpredictable boot error.

Intermittent problems are really hard to track down. If you see anything in common when the problem occurs, it might help. Like does it happen during restarts, or cold boots after being completely shutdown?

If the error seems to be related to your Video Editor, maybe it is involved in causing the problem.

The message seems to be saying no User Interface is found. Perhaps it is referring to a user profile. But that should be there unless it is being corrupted.

Memory can be involved, since most of the OS is put in memory for use. During sleep or hibernation, files are written to the drives for use later. Page files are used all the time, which are written to hard drives. If the memory was having a problem, it might show up a corruption on the system. Most folks suggest running a memory test for a longer period that just one or two scans.

If you ever get a real Blue Screen, there might be a dump report made that could point to your problem.

If you check the Event Viewer, there may be some entry that could help track down a problem. If something is happening fairly often, it might be related.

Back