Windows 7 Intermittent network switching, resulting no internet access

andyrew

Hi guys,

Before I started this new thread, i've read serveral other threads that might help me resolve this issue, however it hasn't and i wasnt able to really find anything that is related to mine besides the no internet access ( very very common problem lol)

As you can read by the title, the problem i've been experiencing is my local area connection "network" switching... if that makes sense.

What seems to be happening is when i connect my desktop pc (via ethernet) and laptops (via wireless) to the new modem/router ( either netgear DGN2200 OR linksys WAG160n), the network and sharing center will say im connected to network 2 and only provide internet access to my desktop while the laptops have no internet acess, and after numerous disabling and enabling the wireless on the laptops and doing power cycles on the modem/router, internet access is granted on the laptops... then however, no internet access on the desktop (happens on both modem/routers).

Then by some act of god, there is internet connection on desktop and laptop, and when i check the network and sharing center, it would say im connected to network 4, but thats not all, because when i turn my pc off overnight for when i sleep, and turn it back on, i'd still be connected to network 4 and have no internet access on desktop or laptop and what i mentioned above happens again and i'd go through all the general trouble shooting stuff and randomly it would work again...

After speaking to support from both Netgear and cisco... i think the problem might be with my network card?

Anyone got any ideas? Cause im stumped... i've used 4 different ethernet cables, i've gone back to the store where i purchased the modem/routers (first the DGN2200) and exchanged it for a different one (Linksys WAG160n) and the problem still persist with desktop and laptop...

There are probably many settings that might have an effect on your situation. But first, let stick with the Linksys Router and have you changed any of the factory settings other than just the normal setup requirements?

Do you have the router firewall turned on?

The Manual shows a Access Restrictions>Internet Access Policy..anything there that might help?

It almost sounds like one device signing on will knock the other off. If you have set a limit on the number of DHCP available address, are there at least 4 or 5?

I am sure you will be asked to supply the information from a ipconfig /all command using the command prompt window. You can copy and paste, or take a snipping tool picture and attach using the paperclip. If there is any private info you do not want to disclose, edit it as necessary, but leave at least enough for us to see what is going on. You may want to attach one from a laptop also.

There is also a troubleshooting page in the manual if you have not tried that.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
This problem is often a product of network node conflicts. Could be a name conflict, and IP address conflict or in some very rare instances even a MAC address conflict (often when someone for some reason has chosen to "Clone" a MAC address). So...
the first order of business would be to examine the details of all network nodes and confirm that all the associated parameter regarding those three items are unique to each. Also as Saltgrass has already suggested too many nodes contesting for too few DHCP addresses could also be a cause. So make sure you examine your DHCP scope and confirm that you have plenty available.
Additionally the problem may also be a result of noise a product of an adapter going bad (failing) or other electrical devices in close proximity to either of your network nodes or cable runs in close proximity to appliances (fluorescent lighting, AC->DC power converters, Cordless phones or base stations, etc.,)
The term network nodes would include anything (computers, printers, NAS(s), appliances such as switches or routers) UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) cabling is very susceptible to any such interference.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom