Windows 10 Internet Connectivity Question

I am getting an error stating "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)". I have an internet streaming service for my TV and for my security system (SimpliSafe), both of which were functioning just fine. Only my laptop was having the problem. I've tried restarting my laptop, restarting my router, checking my wi-fi settings, all to no avail. It will connect briefly, then drops. Last night I was getting a message that my connection was unstable. Odd since I had my TV and my security system on, but who knows. I don't know what a "DNS Server" is, for starters, and I've done what I know how to do, which is very limited. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm using and Acer Aspire laptop that's just over a year old, and it's running Windows 10. I have Kaspersky AV installed. Don't know if any of that helps. Thank you all, in advance, for your kind assistance.

DNS server or domain name service server are used to translate the names of systems such as google.com to an IP address which is what is needed to connect. For the typical home setup your router acts as a relay between your device(s) and your ISP's hosted DNS servers. It's possible your ISP is having an issue with one of their DNS servers, or it could be isolated to your device.

Are you only receiving these errors on your laptop and are they popping up in specific application(s) or on Windows when you're not in an application?

DNS server or domain name service server are used to translate the names of systems such as google.com to an IP address which is what is needed to connect. For the typical home setup your router acts as a relay between your device(s) and your ISP's hosted DNS servers. It's possible your ISP is having an issue with one of their DNS servers, or it could be isolated to your device.

Are you only receiving these errors on your laptop and are they popping up in specific application(s) or on Windows when you're not in an application?

Thank you for helping me decipher that. It's just on Windows, not when I'm in an application, but when I open a web browser it will say "No internet connection". So, when I open my laptop I see that the little symbol showing I'm connected to my network has a little yellow triangle over it. I go to the settings, network/connectivity and "troubleshoot", and that's when the message comes up. I have a 2.4 and 5G network in my apartment, to which are connected my security system, my TV streaming service (Directv Now/Amazon Prime/Netflix), multi function device and my laptop. My laptop seems to be the only one with a connectivity problem. I appreciate your willingness to help me!

Back