Windows 7 Internet Disconnect - sporadic non response

Slipstream

I searched and I cannot find a situation that matches mine exactly (or perhaps I didn't look hard enough). I will try and be as specific as I can.

I will be doing my business and suddenly, my internet will stop.
It's important to note that the disconnect warning will not pop up. According to the computer, it is still connected. When in Firefox or IE (tried both), when I click on any link it says "done" at the bottom instantly and nothing shows up. It doesn't say "unable to connect". It doesn't say "can't find the address". It just says "done" at the bottom of Firefox but nothing connects. It doesn't search. It doesn't load. As said, this happens with both IE and Firefox.

Oh it gets better.

Torrents and any other sharing programs will also shut down and often, if I go to bed with torrents running, they will dead by morning.
The only solution has been rebooting. I have turned off every program. I have purchased a new router. I have run ipconfig /release and /renew and this does not solve the problem. Internet will still work with other computers tied to the network (like my netbook with XP). I have loaded new drivers and rolled back to older drivers. Nothing

Here is the real kicker...

If I reboot the PC...I can turn on the torrent program on its own and it will work without interruption throughout the night. It is almost like if I run multiple programs which access the internet, the PC has a nervous breakdown. I received the Win 7 RC earlier this year and I plan on purchasing the full version soon but I want to make sure this problem is not the PC or else I am almost better to buy a new PC and have Win 7 included. This problem only started occurring about three weeks ago, being reliable and lovable for months until then.

So, any ideas?

Just a quick shot in the dark, your problem sounds remarkably like an issue with mdnsresponder.exe, so if you would open services.msc and first look at or near the top of the services console for something like this ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B8 79762 ## doesn't have to match exactly just if it's there stop it and set it to disable. Also take a look a little further down for bonjour if it's there stop it and set it to disable. Like I said just a shot in the dark, but I hope it helps

Hmm...when I punch in Services.msc, a little window pops up with a gear symbol. I don't know how to search for that string given the window which appeared. I also do not see anything in french. :)

Additionally, I should also add, when internet does freeze, often when I reboot, I get the "blue screen of death" with the machine saying it is dumping memory (or something like that).

I know, I am making it worse. :) The fear is that I will buy a fresh copy of Win 7, format my machine, and not solve the problem.

You are right the services console does have a gear symbol in the top left corner. Never noticed that before. Any way, the services are listed in alphabetical order so you shouldn't need to search, just maximize the window and scroll up and down the weird string is usually right at the top and Bonjour Service is named just that and should be between Bluetooth Support and BranchCache. Anyway, zip a dmp file and attach to your next post, sounds like you may have a driver issue or some software running that is causing a driver issue.

Ok... I was doing it right then. No show for either entries.

I hope I did this attachment thingy done right

Attachments

• 012510-17238-01.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 304
This is probably a good point to stop and ask for some system spec information so if you would, click on the settings link at the top of this page, and on the resultant page on the left click edit profile, go down to where you can start filling out your system specs and fill them out to the best of your ability, we need to know the computer mfg, model name, model number, network adapters mfg, model, model number and version info. And is this an upgrade from Vista, the reason I ask, is that the dmp file though relatively generic reporting memory that could not be read, had some more specific information that seemed to suggest some driver issues dating back to Vista. So to the extent possible try checking with your system manufacturer's website and see if they have any current updates for your bios, MoBo chipset, video, sound, NIC and or wireless NIC.

Thanks for that. Probably should start here. I don't see anything brand spanking new, so I would probably just start with the LAN driver, since your issue seems to be mainly with the internet issue, but if you are not using the latest chip set driver I would be sure to install that also ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-
There is also a new video driver just a couple days old for the nvidia card here NVIDIA DRIVERS 196.21 WHQL
hope this helps

I searched and I cannot find a situation that matches mine exactly (or perhaps I didn't look hard enough). I will try and be as specific as I can.

It's important to note that the disconnect warning will not pop up. According to the computer, it is still connected. When in Firefox or IE (tried both), when I click on any link it says "done" at the bottom instantly and nothing shows up. It doesn't say "unable to connect". It doesn't say "can't find the address". It just says "done" at the bottom of Firefox but nothing connects. It doesn't search. It doesn't load. As said, this happens with both IE and Firefox.

Oh it gets better.

Torrents and any other sharing programs will also shut down and often, if I go to bed with torrents running, they will dead by morning.
The only solution has been rebooting. I have turned off every program. I have purchased a new router. I have run ipconfig /release and /renew and this does not solve the problem. Internet will still work with other computers tied to the network (like my netbook with XP). I have loaded new drivers and rolled back to older drivers. Nothing

If I reboot the PC...I can turn on the torrent program on its own and it will work without interruption throughout the night. It is almost like if I run multiple programs which access the internet, the PC has a nervous breakdown. I received the Win 7 RC earlier this year and I plan on purchasing the full version soon but I want to make sure this problem is not the PC or else I am almost better to buy a new PC and have Win 7 included. This problem only started occurring about three weeks ago, being reliable and lovable for months until then.

So, any ideas?

As I said in another post, the problem may not at all be with the computer. As more and more bandwidth demand is put on the router, it could be shutting off the computer ip. I have the same issue on my home network. If I shut off devices connected to the LAN, my wireless drops very less frequently.

I am considering buying a "better" router.

OK....so I replaced all those driver...and nothing. Sorry...back to square one

And its not the router. I bought a new one when this problem started occurring...and my bandwidth usage is no different than the time previous...

OK, I'm kinda running out of ideas here. I thought maybe the NIC driver would have done it. You probably need to take a good look at other programs that are running, when this issue occurs, any type of third party firewalls that may use SPI (stateful packet inspection) technology, which is actually most of them or other background processes that may be firing on some type of schedule and coincedentally colliding with other network processes. Check event viewer for errors, when this occurs and also watch task manager, see if there are any extraneous items under the processes tab, that you can right click and choose end process tree on.

Oh it gets better.

So, any ideas?

I am experiencing a problem pretty much identical to the one you are facing. I had vista and never had a single problem with my link sys network or my linksys wireless G USB adapter. I am currently running a Acer Aspire M5641 which has a pentium dual core on 4 GB of ram. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate full version. My router is a little bit older but from what I'm hearing that shouldnt matter at all. My router is a linksys wireless g. I had an older model of the compact wireless G network adapter but I thought that was the issue so I ended up exchanging it at my work for the version 3 of the compact wireless g network adapter. To no avail, it still gives me problems but I do get stronger connection.

Ill be downloading a file or using rapidshare or simply browsing youtube and like you said, it seems like the computer has a nervous breakdown. The adapter shows a yellow triangle error message and sometimes ill troubleshoot it and it will correct itself, but majority of the time it doesnt fix itself and I have to manually power down my computer. And when it actually does fix itself, itll work for about 15 minutes and then crash to a blue screen where it says its dumping memory much like you've seen. Like you, I have yet to find a solution to this and at first I almost thought it was because I was downloading music and they were tracking my IP address and shutting me down because Ive heard they are trying to do that but I didnt think they had the capabilities to do something like that yet. I have not problems when I connect my wireless mouse, keyboard or my external hard drive......

I also have an issue with my usb ports specifically when I connect my zune or any other zune to my pc. It will say that its connected or charging, but when I try to sync songs to it, itll do about half a cd and then stop working. completely frustrating because im not a computer expert and I have no idea how to go about fixing any of this. I know its not a power management thing because I made sure all of my ports wouldnt shut off the devices because I initially thought that was the problem with the network adapter.

Im sure your excited to see this new comment only to find out its another person with a problem exactly like yours lol. Im just glad to know I wasnt the only one. I almost bought a new router too because I thought it was the router. Itll sometimes say access point, gateway or router issue. But we both know this isn't true. So here's to hoping Microsoft comes up with an update soon that fixes this garbage problem!

I'm having the same problem as well. It was working fine a week ago now the only my dads laptop which is runnng on xp stays connected. My computer my 360 and my iPhone all randomly disconnect. My dad just bought a bilken wireless router but everything worked fine for over a month. I retored my computer last night but the problem is still there

I'm having the same problem as well. It was working fine a week ago now the only my dads laptop which is runnng on xp stays connected. My computer my 360 and my iPhone all randomly disconnect. My dad just bought a bilken wireless router but everything worked fine for over a month. I retored my computer last night but the problem is still there

I got this answer from another post, so I'm not taking credit for it, but it seemed to work for me last night:

"I fixed this by going into the driver properties panel> Advanced> Task Offload> Off. After it reset I was running fine.To solve the issue, I just simply turned off IPv6 on the PC and no more network drops.

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > > Change Adapter Settings > Right Click/Properties on your network connection > Uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" > Reboot (just to be sure)"

FYI - I dumped my Belkin router, and bought a D-Link DIR-655 EXTREME N router.

I have been running for about a week on it now, (wireless printing, streaming video, streaming audio, & basic internet surfing), and have not yet had 1 disconnect. For what it's worth, I also added security to the network.

In my case anyway, the problem seemed have been the router. (Never had the issue with XP)

Back