Windows 7 Internet Explorer 10

spqr2007

IE10 keeps crashing continuously, thereafter reinstating itself. Tried installing IE 11 but IE10 keeps crashing it before the installation is complete?
Any help would be appreciated.
I am running Win 7 in both 32 & 64 versions on two computers.

Cheers.

Hi

Switch to Google Chrome, I've had nothing but problems with IE.
For several years, on several computers, it hasn't been able to open many of the web pages I use, including me Comcast home page.

No amount of messing around was able to fix this.

Mike

Mike, true IE is a pain in the butt, but not everyone is so comfortable being an open book to advertisers and the NSA. :)

It's worth a shot trying MS Fixit: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Even if IE is not the default browser, every once in a while it comes in handy for sites that just won't work with anything else (if you can get it to work). A non-functioning IE is an ongoing problem because there is no way to delete the darn thing. (I cleaned that up to comply with the forum's TOS)

BTW, my recommendation for a different browser is Firefox but please, let's not turn this thread into a browser war.

I second Mike. I abandoned IE more than decade ago. Never went back since. I am still here. Happy non-IE user.

I agree with the sentiment about IE. However, for sites that won't work on Firefox or Opera, the only alternative to IE that has a shot is Chrome. I'm too paranoid to get near Chrome. I'd rather suffer with IE on those rare occasions (lesser of evils--Chrome is evil, IE just sucks).

I rarely use IE any more either and switched to Chrome after problems with Firefox. If the govt wants to snoop on you it doesn't matter much what browser you are using.
Joe

Hi again.

You can get rid of IE, just go to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs and go to the add remove Windows Components.
Uncheck Internet Explorer and it will go away.

If you recheck it, it will reinstall it.

I don't do this however just in case I need it for something, but the truth is I haven't found a web site that requires IE in a long time.
That used to happen all the time, but not any more, and Chrome or Firefox is a lot more reliable.

Now with IE I just find web pages it won't open, why I have no idea, it always says something about switching to compatibility mode and then I get a blank page.

I have both Chrome and Firefox, installed but I think Chrome is faster and the easiest to use.

Mike

Why doesn't Microsoft do something about your using Chrome? They would probably like to, but legally, they can't force you to use IE. :)

Hi again.

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't fix IE, it's been kind of a joke for decades.
I remember back when I used Netscape as an alternative (does that even exist any more?).

I've been using Chrome for at least 10 years and I've had no security issues other then a few ad-ware programs creeping in I really can't remember having any kind of malicious software problems in the last 10 years.

Once you get used to it, it's just so much less of a hassle to use.

Mike

I'm finally getting used to Chrome. I dumped Firefox because of a conflict with it's flash plugin causing BSODs. IE was easier to save videos in the past by just opening temporary internet file and finding the flash or mp4 file.
Joe

So all of you Chrome guys, isn't anybody bothered by the privacy issues? I realize that Internet privacy is largely an illusion, but Google raises snooping to an art form.

Privacy issue (with Chrome) vs. Security issue (with IE) ? Privacy is controllable if you control the amount of information you spill on the internet. Security breach happens without your knowledge. Since I am a Facebook user myself, I learned to live with privacy matters (but I watch the info I share).

You just repeat what I just said. But the way you describe it is just a reflection of how paranoid you are. Sorry to the OP for hijackling this thread. I'll shut up.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Last edited:
On privacy is it Chrome or Google's search engine that does the tracking or both?
Joe
Reading Google's privacy policy will shed some light: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

Technically, Google probably does not collect information that is not already available to other service providers. The difference is the business model. For a browser like Firefox, Mozilla has no "personal" interest in your data. Companies that use the web can access information from your browser that they are trying to capture. They get a small window into some specific data of use to them.

The Google products and services are designed from the ground up as data miners. They capture every scrap of available information about anything and everything, cross reference it, and mine it as an information source about you. Rather than being on the outside looking in, snatching tidbits of data through a peephole, the Google products are on the inside, with complete access to everything you do on the product--your activities, preferences, patterns of behavior, etc. If you use their browser, email, and search engine, there is very little about you and your life that Google does not know.

Do they use it for nefarious purposes? Probably not. They mainly look for ways to make money using the information commercially. Personally, I find it a bit scary that information of such breadth and depth exists; compiled and available or susceptible to being abused. Forget spying by the NSA; users voluntarily hand all of this information to a commercial entity that is in the business of collecting and mining it for commercial purposes. It's "1984", only Big Brother isn't the government. There is a scene in Jurassic Park where the lab guys are explaining to Jeff Goldblum about all of the safeguards they have in place so nothing can go wrong. His response is that nature always finds a way.

But I digress. The short answer is is both.

Back