Windows 7 Internet Explorer 9 keeps crashing.

poweranimals

It was running fine before, but now it keeps freezing up and I get an error box at the bottom of the screen and I have to click "Recover Webpage" or something to that effect. The problem is that barely works and the tab ends up closing completely or the whole browser freezes. I don't know if this is an issue with the actual browser or with Windows itself cause as I said before, it was working fine until recently. I know the Windows updates have kinda screwed me up in the past though. Anyway, I was hoping that someone here may have some insight that they could share.

There was just a recent update to IE9 that seemed requiring shutting down your system for it to take. It may have changed some settings but no way for me to know.

I don't have an IE9 install running right now, but you might check the Windows Update for Installed updates and see if it is listed. If it is, you might be able to uninstall it if you can't find the problem. If that update is causing a general problem, there will probably be questions popping up on the net.

Edit: I saw there was a reference to the update in the "About IE9" dialog. You might check to see if it is relative to you..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2744842

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see that update in my Windows Update list so that may be what caused it. A couple of people seem to have expressed Windows not booting up after installing it. I can't say that relates to my issue though, but maybe uninstalling it will help? How do you uninstall an a windows update anyway?

In order to be removed, an update has to be listed in the "Installed Updates" page. This update for IE9 is not listed, so you probably can't uninstall it. But if you wanted to go that far, IE9 is listed.

If enough folks are having problems, we will probably hear something pretty soon. I have IE 9 installed, but do not use it much.

I think you can uninstall IE9 and it will revert to IE8. If you still want IE 9 download and reinstall again.
Joe

It was running fine before, but now it keeps freezing up and I get an error box at the bottom of the screen and I have to click "Recover Webpage" or something to that effect. The problem is that barely works and the tab ends up closing completely or the whole browser freezes. I don't know if this is an issue with the actual browser or with Windows itself cause as I said before, it was working fine until recently. I know the Windows updates have kinda screwed me up in the past though. Anyway, I was hoping that someone here may have some insight that they could share.

If you are encountering such an irritating situation, i would suggest you to download Google chrome browser. It would be a great experience to surf on it.

Okay, so how do I uninstall Internet Explorer anyway?

Install Google chrome on your system and set it as default browser. You can also disable IE on your computer as: Go to Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs. In the left side you you need to click on Add/Remove Windows components and select internet explorer to disable.

I have not tried, but if you go to the Installed Updates in Windows Updates, you should be able to uninstall IE9 from there.

In order to be removed, an update has to be listed in the "Installed Updates" page. This update for IE9 is not listed, so you probably can't uninstall it. But if you wanted to go that far, IE9 is listed.

I had the same problem with IE9 as do a few colleagues, I have removed the IE9 update and downgraded to IE8 but IE8 still crashes on me? I get a message "IE has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you when a solution becomes available" I select the option to 'Close Program' and then get a message that 'Windows is checking for a solution' nothing happens? I have to close the program and reopen IE or return to page i was on? This has happened on my Win7 work PC, i have done all updates and also done a system restore to revert to an earlier time in case an update caused the problem to no avail? It happens on a number of websites i have googled, but mainly on Salesforce as i use that for work. I have also experienced this issue on my Windows 7 home PC and in particular Argos and Amazon websites. These websites work some days and not others so it's intermittent? It's a nuisance and quite frustrating. PS i have selected the 'Disable script debugging' advance option and it is still the same? Any ideas??

got to add/remove, go to installed updates, in that list you should find IE9 as an update you can uninstall. i have a spare copy downloaded myself. you can download the version you need here directly: Download Internet Explorer 9 - Microsoft Windows
i would use a good cleanup utility at first, though, 2 good free ones are ccleaner and wise registry cleaner, they work well together. :)

Last edited:
got to add/remove, go to installed updates, in that list you should find IE9 as an update you can uninstall. i have a spare copy downloaded myself. you can download the version you need here directly: Download Internet Explorer 9 - Microsoft Windows
i would use a good cleanup utility at first, though, 2 good free ones are ccleaner and wise registry cleaner, they work well together. :)

I've tried this numerous times and same, i have uninstalled IE9 update, but IE8 still crashes when i use that, i have run ccleaner also and same! I have tried a fresh IE9 install/upgrade and same! i currenty have taken IE9 off yet again but still find IE8 crashing. I tried on my home PC and also find IE9 same at home, crashing, for example on Facebook it crashes? although reluctant and i don't know if his would solve it but i'm considering reformat?

when you uninstall ie9, the system reverts to ie8 without updates, first update ie8, then go back into installed updates and find a kb update with no description and uninstall it, then install ie9, it worked for me, after ie9 installs and you reboot, you will need to reinstall adobe flash ... to clear out the clutter, the mrus, activeX and such i use ccleaner, wise registry cleaner, and wise disk cleaner. i just uninstalled ie9 and reinstalled it yesterday to make it new again :)

Last edited:
I have the same problem. My computer is about 4months old. I.E.9 is continually crashing. I used to download with I.E.9 but now find that my downloads are continually "Interrupted" and have to be restarted,which can be extremely frustrating. I like I.E.9 very much but these problems have been infuriating and I now download with D.A.P,which still works well.
When can we expect a resolution to these problems?

Cheers.

I have the same problem. My computer is about 4months old. I.E.9 is continually crashing. I used to download with I.E.9 but now find that my downloads are continually "Interrupted" and have to be restarted,which can be extremely frustrating. I like I.E.9 very much but these problems have been infuriating and I now download with D.A.P,which still works well.
When can we expect a resolution to these problems?

Cheers.

I use ie9, downloaded a large iso that took about an hour, got interrupted once, but restarted and got the whole thing. I have stable cable, too.
The internet connection is key, a wireless will get reset at the server, too. I use some good free cleaning tools to help get rid of the stuff that gets in there, i use ccleaner frequently, it helps. For a thorough cleaning, try wise disk cleaner and wise registry cleaner, both free as well.

I use ie9, downloaded a large iso that took about an hour, got interrupted once, but restarted and got the whole thing. I have stable cable, too.
The internet connection is key, a wireless will get reset at the server, too. I use some good free cleaning tools to help get rid of the stuff that gets in there, i use ccleaner frequently, it helps. For a thorough cleaning, try wise disk cleaner and wise registry cleaner, both free as well.
... your internet connection settings may be causing your interruptions, as well. ie9 doesn't cause these problems, the connection quality and server resets cause them.

I have not tried removing the patch suggested early in this thread, but will do so soon. I have been having this same sort of problem, where the keystroke activity in a tab of the browser freezes. Sometimes it recovers (after a DEL, backspace, or back arrow seem to help.) Other times it just quits. I've noticed that shortly before the freeze, the keystroke display seems to start slowing down dramatically. It has been suggested that there may have been an attempt to SAVE automatically that makes this happen. I don't really buy it. It might be due to a re-chaining of memory segments during some sort of garbage collection, though. In any case, it seems to happen most often in long messages - and when I'm on a roll and really keying fast. Almost always I can hop to another tab or another window without any degradation on these other environments. It is just within the one tab that there is a problem. I do connect via wireless, so an increased number of errors in transmission is possible, but this should not matter if communications are recoverable. (Not sure they are). It happens to Facebook most often, but I've also had it going into Hotmail. I figured it might be related to whatever plugin is handling the keystroking into a text box.

Any ideas?

Back