Windows 7 IPv4: No Internet Access, constant "Identifying..."

Tom Fox

Unable to connect to the router via wireless adapter in a Toshiba Satellite...newbie to network troubleshooting.
What should I do?

You may have a Wireless-N card and a Wireless-G router. Wireless-N is the newer standard, but you may need to manually set the wireless card to Wireless-G to be compatible with the router. You can do this under Start->Search-> Device Manager, find the network adapter, "Advanced Settings".

heres what i did when my ethernet and wireless stopped working, and it fixed it.
Go to Network and sharing center.
Click "change adapter settings"
It should show your wireless and LAN (Local Area Network) connections.
Right click LAN and click on "Properties" (Make sure you are using an admin account)
Click on internet protocol version 6.
At the bottom, a new option called "Properties"
Click on that.
Make sure that the cicles "Obtain ipv6 address automatically" for both.
Hit ok and then click on "Internet protocol version 4"
Go to properties.
Make sure that those same cicles are marked.
Click ok and close out of LAN, but not Adapter settings.
Right click on "Wireless Network"
Click properties and do the same thing that you just did for LAN.

This should work, depending on if that was the problem or not.
It worked for me, so i hope i helped
-ChriS, ComputeR WiZ In TraininG

Re: IPv4: No Internet Access, constant "unidentified network no internet access"

After trying several of the "fixes" that were listed this is the fix that worked for me. None of the other fixes that I tried seem to do any good.
I kept getting the message "unidentified network no internet access" when I tried to connect using my wireless connection. (Windows 7 on an HP i5 laptop)
Using the direct cable connection (ethernet) I was able to access the internet without any problems. (Wireless did not work though)

Go to Network and sharing center.
Click "change adapter settings"
It should show your wireless and LAN (Local Area Network) connections.
Right click Wireless Network and click on "Properties" (Make sure you are using an admin account)
Click on internet protocol version 6.
At the bottom, a new option called "Properties"
Click on that.
Make sure that the cicles "Obtain ipv6 (or DNS server) address automatically" for both.
Hit ok and then click on "Internet protocol version 4"
Go to properties.
Make sure that those same cicles are marked.
Click ok and close out of all of the programs back to your desktop.
The wireless connection should now work without having to reboot.
Thanks for the information Chris.

JohnD of OC

Re: IPv4: No Internet Access, constant "unidentified network no internet access"

I did all of this and I still cannot connect to the internet. It will say identifying for a while and then "unidentified network". The signal strength is perfect and other computers with the same OS and settings (I'm pretty sure) can easily connect to the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

kozty:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Perhaps some specifics as to the particular Network Interface Card that you are having trouble with (wireless, wired, name of card, manufacturer, model number, revision number, etc.) The problem can be caused by a bad driver in which case you can perhaps force a driver update using device manager refer to this post for a possible solution http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...dentifying-no-internet-access.html#post174802
however it could just as likely be caused by some type of third party software so examine any type of Firewall product and or AntiVirus solution that you have installed and make sure that either you know how to make the proper adjustment to the product or perhaps uninstall them temporarily to remove them from the diagnostic equation. You can always reinstall them later if they are not the cause of the issue.

Back
Top Bottom