Is a anti-virus program needed?

All I know is it's going to be integrated into WDATP, so don't know if it will just be a code port or re-write/update

I like to control things. MS does not let us control things.
On occasions, I briefly disable the anti virus (eg when installing a program that i trust).
WD will not let us do that (or it turns itself on when it feels like it)
If you install Avast Free, it allows us to control it.
And it's presence prevents WD running.

I need freeware, so I settled for the following:

Bitdefender

Comodo Firewall with HIPS, auto-containment, etc.

Malwarebytes, Zemana, and eSet offline scanners for second opinion

I've been using Webroot Internet Security Complete + Antivirus 2018 and Windows Defender for about a month plus and it's been great!
I used to use Kaspersky Internet Security. But I dropped it because of
1. Recent light on the compromise or cooperation with their software and Russian authorities.
2. The heavy footprint it had on my system and how it was just into everything.

I bought a 5 device license of Webroot off Amazon, it was a good price too $32. I was apprehensive at first because I'd been using Kaspersky for a few years. And it is known for having great security. However it's not very secure if it's compromised. Plus I like the fact that buying Webroot is buying American and hey what's wrong with helping out the home team right?

I actually almost interviewed with Webroot their office isn't that far from me, well it wasn't before I moved south of Denver. I'm hoping Webroot will get an ELAM driver though, that would make a great product even better.

window defender is secure from malware and spyware virus
but it is not protected from trojan horse virus
I recommend using avg internet security antivirus
it is not heavy as compared to Kaspersky antivirus

Yes !! Antivirus program is needed in order to protect your system from viruses, malware and various ransomware attacks,These softwares helps you to kill all your infected files and make your system run smoother and faster.

I'm still totally satisfied with Windows Defender plus a VPN, and occasional scan with Malwarebytes free. Haven't had any kind of infection in a long time. Maybe I just dodged the bullet! I used Norton security previously and it was good, also. Decided not to renew because WD is doing a fine job.

here's an interesting video demostration Malwarebytes Premium versus some malware. Not so bueno. I agree with the guy who made the video in that Malwarebytes is a good 2nd opinion scanner but not for main protection. And he says this because he did an interview with president of Malwarebytes focuses on the attack vector versus being spread via usb stick of email attachment. He's more technical in speech than I am so check it out if you're big on Malwarebytes, the more you know.

WD and malware bytes free scan every so often is about all I will do. I am the only one using my PC and I don't download or click anything I shouldn't. Just backup as many things/settings as you can because a clean install is only 20-30 mins these days with windows 10. :)

Another good video breakdown by that channel on antivirus and antimalware, it's simple but good.

Yes, we really need an antivirus program to be installed in computer, As it helps us to fight against all kinds of malware attacks and viruses and makes your system clean and efficient.
You can use Anti-virus programs such as Bitdefender, Avira Antivirus, Norton Antivirus.

Windows defender and Malwarebytes will do the job.
Defender is good now, but if you want enhanced protection, I'm always going to recommend ESET Smart Security. This is not a paid endorsement, by the way, its just a preference. Granted, I only run Defender on my main system, but I do run ESET on my phone for anti-theft. I also think it would be a good idea for portable devices like laptops. If you are going on a lot of potentially malicious websites, or you don't know what you're doing, you're going to want this enhanced protection. Never raw dog your system if you consistently have problems.

I'll again refer people to AV Comparatives and AV-Test. These sites will give you a good idea about the quality of various anti-malware software and anti-virus programs. I do not trust sites like CNET to give independent results.

I thought I'd reset our router's DNS Servers to Comodo since we've changed to AT&T. They don't allow manually changing it. Their attitude is in essence "If you don't like it, go to another company". If you change it in the individual computer does the router change you back to their servers?

From AT&T Community Forums:

Re: Can I use a different modem AND router to connect with Uverse Internet?

Yes. You have to have the AT&T provided gateway.

Now, nothing is stopping you from turning both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios completely off and plugging in your own 3rd party product. Our gateways can be configured to be in bridge mode if you want yours to handle IPs, etc.

May 15, 2017 9:59 AM - edited May 15, 2017 10:00 AM
Re: Can I use a different modem AND router to connect with Uverse Internet?
Every connected device (even cell phones, tablits, i-pads, you name it) have a unique device number (sometimes called mac address) assigned to it, making it unique.
On top of that, ATT provided equipment also has a secondary identifier as well, and every wired att connection (with the exception of the legacy dsl networks) have that particular number assigned to only that connection.
It is no secret, you can buy perfectly good att gateways off of services like e-bay. However, it is unlikely you will get any att tech to actually activate that device.
However, as was already said, while you have to use their provided modem/gateway/router/residential gateway, etc. they all allow for third party routers to be connected to them.
While most are perfectly good for wired (Ethernet) connections, the wi-fi router can be a bit lacking on some models, SO, you can get around that by using your own (presumably better) wifi router of choice.
Hope this answers your question. Good luck

They don't allow us to use a different one. I'm pretty much resigned to this. I could get a second router and hook it to theirs. I found some info on how to do it. There's an IP Pass Through thing. But there are 23 devices in this house that connect to the router. There are TV boxes, Roku boxes, Cell Phones, printers and computers. I'm just going to forget about it.

The thing is years ago I bought a router and tried to get Time Warner to let me set it up. They bluntly told me they weren't going to. I was required to use theirs. This was like 15 years ago.

Update: I forgot to mention the AT&T phone line hooked to one of the printers and used as a fax.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom