Windows 7 Is there an 'update log/register'

rosphite1

I've recently had to restore my PC (W7) to "factory settings" (i.e. wipe the hard drive reload W7 and reinstall everything). It seems that there was some update of a driver or maybe windows update that is causing the system to malfunction. I run 6 screens and I have read that the NVIDIA card drivers can sometimes cause conflict with W7. I spent months trying to resolve the issue (without success) but the system got worse until I eventually had to restore the computer.

Everything worked great for the past couple of months (after the restore). But over the past few days the system is starting to malfunction again. It started with one of the screens not receiving the feed i.e. stayed blank after start up. And then Windows has shut down twice, now, after restart.

My question (sorry to be so long winded) - is there a log or register that I can access to see what system/driver updates have occurred over the past week?

Thanks(in advance)

An option is

%windir%\Windowsupdate.log

Type it in Run, in Start. Hope you find out about it. However, I do think it's possible that you have some vicious program(s) that are activated. NVIDIA drivers are known to cause trouble, but so are all other drivers too... I have NVIDIA, no problems. Any driver can cause problems! But the fact that you get the problem again... might indicate some "rats in the corners", persistent ones.

Re-installing doesn't kill possible malware. The only true way to get rid of them is zero formatting. I sincerely suggest that you scan your computer thoroughly, with the Antivirus you have, and maybe
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Best wishes. :)

Last edited:
If you are getting Hardware Updates, it might show in the "View Update History" you can find in the Windows Update dialog window. There is also an "Installed Updates" option on the bottom of the screen.

I am only running 3 monitors with 2 Nvidia cards, but the system has been stable. Could you tell us how you have the monitors configured, and what type they are as far as differences? I suppose you are using the prescribed ports for the connections?

Thanks Titanic
I ran a full system scan with my Norton - came up clean
Then downloaded the malware you suggested - that detected 2 items that I removed (quarantined) - I've attached a snip for your info of what they were. I tried to google what they attacked on the computer but no luck

Terribly exciting, really. I've never had a bug before (at least never detected one). Hopefully this sorts my problem.
Thanks again

20130724 scan results.PNG

Saltgrass
Thanks for your input. The Update history lists the MIcrosoft malicious software update for July as the only Windows update over the past few days.
I'm not sure what you mean by configured? But I have 4x HD 24inch AOC and 2 older regular monitors of Hanns.G HX191D. Each is plugged directly into a separate socket on one of the NVIDIA cards. It had all been stable for almost 1.5 years until the above described symptons started and a rebuild followed. Now they are starting again after 2-3 months.

Maybe the malware detected will stop the problem - i'll no better after using for a few days
Thanks again

Last edited:
Maybe the Malware is your problem, but some info just in case.

I run my monitors in a Surround setup for gaming. I found out early on, it did not like mixing LCD/LED monitors with LCD/CFL type monitors. If you are not running in Surround or SLI, it might not be relevant.

If you are not running them in 3D, you might try installing the drivers without that option. A couple of drivers ago, it caused me problems, but the recent releases seemed to have resolved the situation.

Terribly exciting, really. I've never had a bug before (at least never detected one). Hopefully this sorts my problem.
Very nice. Saltgrass is definitely more competent in solving problems, but I must say, I like your attitude. Excited... sounds good. Keeps the blood flowing, eh? :)

Hello again,
The excitement has worn off - the removal of the bug didn't solve my problem. The old problem is:
- all the screens will go blank (black) for a few moments
- then they will briefly resume
- while briefly resumed and error message pops up from the bottom right hand corner (of my main screen) saying that the NVIDIA Mode Driver 311.06 stopped responding and has recovered (I use 3 Geforce 210 NVIDIA graphic cards)
- the the system will shut down and restart by itself
I've taken a snap of the error of the unexpected shutdown attached

Saltgrass (above) has made some suggestions but I've failed to determine if they are applicable
I don't understand "CFL" or "SLI" - google didn't reveal mush either!
Basically I use 6 screens to run stock charts - I've never touched the settings. Don't need surround or 3D but I'm not sure if I have them running. I'd assume that the settings would be at default

Has anyone ever had or heard of this type problem? Or could they shed some light on what might be going wrong from the above/attached?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20130730 windows shutdown error 1.PNG
    20130730 windows shutdown error 1.PNG
    588.1 KB · Views: 440
You don't need to run any special configuration if all you are doing is running multiple monitors.

What size power supply are you running?

Have you ever tried going back to a single monitor operation and then removing the Nvidia drivers completely. It will come back with a basic resolution and Windows will install a driver. After that you can reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

There has been, on at least one occasion, I needed to use an older driver version for my system. If you have gotten any updates just before the problem started, you might think about that.

The dump file being generated as shown in your attachment might give the folks oven in the BSOD forum a clue as to what might be going on.

Back
Top Bottom