Windows 8 Is Windows 8.1 being Morphed into 10?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I am seeing quite a few "Optional" updates for Windows 10. Some of those are related to the Update process.

I realize they may just be realigning the Update servers or some necessary change in order to keep the update process working, but are they doing more?

Making changes to the Update process might mean we will loose control of whether certain updates are installed or not, like Window 10. If that were to be the case, Microsoft could make changes to the OS, a piece at a time in such a way that by 2016, Windows 8.1 would technically be Windows 10.

I am not referring to just "aligning" 8.1 to 10 for upgrade purposes. If that is all they are doing, it might be fine, but could Microsoft actually have a more ambitious plan in mind.

Maybe using such things as what is shown in the comments about KB3065988. What might qualify as a "Corporate" device..?

This update allows a future version of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) to deliver System Hardware Updates and System Firmware Updates to corporate devices through WSUS networks.

They did release an "upgrade" for XP that slowed it down to let Vista keep working on a network... so it wouldn't come as a surprise to see 8.1 getting it's legs cut as well because Microsoft is all about trust right?

I don't see them making 8.1 into a WX copy with just the name left unchanged because that would be self defeating... only people that trust Microsoft updates would get it and these people already take the "free WX upgrade offer" anyway but I do see a massive anti-Microsoft backlash in a year from now when people learn what "free for a year" is in the fine print.

Microsoft is monetizing Windows 10. That process started with Windows 8. I am fairly sure they could make further changes to Windows 8.1 to access the same revenue streams as Windows 10.

They could not, however, change the Start Screen in the same way Windows 10 is done. But would they really need to change that since the Windows 8.1 version was their original solution.

I suppose we can speculate all day long. But for the next year, Microsoft is going to have the help of those who chose to stay with the Insiders Program to test future changes. I think many folks understand that Windows 10 is just an extension of Windows 8, but leveraged with a working Start Button and a free give away to get as many users on 10 as possible.

Something which I have not seen mentioned is, if Microsoft succeeds in going to a one OS fits all, there will be an over abundance of software engineers at that company. I would expect possibly 50% of those folks being laid off after Windows 10 is accepted as the primary OS.

As a user which appreciates the power of a Desktop PC, I think Microsoft and I have actually parted ways.... Since my Gaming system is still Blue Screening with Windows 10, it seems Microsoft is not too concerned about the gaming systems.

One size only fits all until it doesn't... the Windows start 3rd-party-butt mess proves people won't stand for getting pushed into a setup they don't want. I spend 5 mins looking for touch pad settings today when my laptop pointer went nuts... turns out Microsoft auto-loaded a new driver for it WITHOUT first removing the old one? They should rehire testers!

p.s. Windows 8 is my current gaming rig so I wont miss 8.1 and WX has just started so it may take time to get hdd made for gaming on it

Back