Windows 10 Issues with windows after BSOD

crocs1

I had a BSOD yesterday , caused by ntfs.sys , the harddrives were checked by HD sentinel and are in excellent condition,

I am using windows 10 pro , upgraded from win 8.1 pro on intel i5 3450 based pc .

During first reboot, windows performed an auto disk check .

When i booted into windows the following issues were faced :

1) Start button wasnt working
2) Realtek Lan adaptor was missing , i had to use usb wifi adapter to get online .
3) i could not open any pics on c drive, would get an error that the apps trial had expired .
4) System restore did not work , access to system volume was denied , asked to perform chkdsk /f , chkdsk /f reported no errors .

After googling i tried this
  1. Go to Search, type powershell, right-click on PowerShell, and choose Run as Administrator
  2. Enter the following line into the PowerShell
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

This did not complete successfully, there were some errors in red lines but it fixed the photo app issue

Also removing the lan driver from device manager and letting it reinstall fixed the lan issue, my VMware lan adapters are still missing .

The start menu button is still not working and system restore too, and dont what else could be broken which i haven't found out yet .

Please let me know what can be done .

Follow this guide and upload the zip file so we can troubleshoot. How to ask for help with a BSOD problem ntfs.sys is the filesystem driver which is probably not the actually cause. It's more probable that a filter driver is the issue (such as an AV product). You could try and disable and/or uninstall any AV suite running and test.

In both dumps, it looks like memory is trying to be read that is either corrupt or marked as free (empty) You may want to run memtest86 on your system. You will want to run it for at least 10 passes or a full 12 hours, depends on how much memory you have too.

Thanks i will do that , but what about the messed up windows ? Any way to fix it, system restore and start button ?

You can try and repair with one of the following, you will want to run both from an elevated command prompt. Since you don't have a start button press Windows key + r and type cmd and press enter, then hold shift + ctrl and click on the cmd icon in the taskbar. This should launch an elevated command prompt.

• sfc /scannow
  • dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It wouldn't hurt to run both and sometimes you need to run each, reboot and run them again up to 3 times.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

If it fails on "some files", reboot and scan again, as previously stated you may need to do this several times

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {ffffc000873dc008, 0, fffff8013eeb3840, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cxpolar64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for cxpolar64.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : cxpolar64.sys ( cxpolar64+33840 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
apologies as I'd totally missed your post. Both dump files were exactly the same bugcheck and this can be caused by a number of things ranging from, faulty hardware (usually RAM), a faulty system service or driver and AV suites can induce this error too.
This first dump file blames the driver:
cxpolar64.sys Thu Jul 21 12:14:46 2011: Conexant Polaris Video Capture. This driver also appears in the Call stack which is usually a pretty good sign that it is indeed the culprit. Also the date of the driver is a little too old for Windows 10 and if possible remove the driver from your system.
The second dump blamed ntfs issues although I've a feeling that this is a bit of a red herring probably indirectly caused by the driver or the upgrade.

Your system drivers need updating. Please use your motherboard support page and install the latest drivers for W10. (Notice the different editions after the moBo's name. You'll need to click on the one that's yours. You can find out which edition moBo you have by looking on the actual board itself)
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.0)
If after making the above changes the bsod continues we can go on to try the driver verifier as well as check the hardware over.

I notice you upgraded from windows 8.1. The trouble is with the upgrade process is it's not always a smooth running affair and many tend to find issues after the process has completed.
The best cure for this is to simply perform a clean install using the readily available iso from Microsoft. As long as your upgrade was legit you won't even need to input a key, just write 'i don't have one' and Windows will automatically activate once your online and signed in.
Just scroll down for the iso you need:
Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update ISO 1607 Download • Windows ISO
Make sure you wipe all partitions too so that the C drive is literally wiped clean, then just click next and off Windows will go. If you have space on a zip driver why not store those system drivers ready for when they are needed?

Please post any new dump files.

Thread moved to correct section.

Last edited:
Thanks , i guess i will have to go for a fresh install, i had two more bsods in the last two days , both were " critical process died" , could this be powersupply related ? my power supply's fan has been making a lot of noise since a week . dumps attached

Attachments

• W7F_02-09-2016.zip
    690.1 KB · Views: 264
Hi,
just debugging them now although they are slow to open. As for the PSU causing the issue, it's a possibility I guess and if you can post the make, model and age it would help although i notice your using an Intel onboard graphics system which won't need a lot of power it just depends on what your actual PSU is power wise.
The fan might be spinning up if the weather has recently turned hot or you have a dust build up issue. I always remove dust every 6 weeks or so, so know how it can build up very quickly. So do check if vents have become clogged and if need be use a small modellers paint brush to remove any dust
I'll be back shortly with those dumps..

It is a corsair CX400 , 5 years old , i have a nvidia 650 GTX ti turbo gpu which i wasnt using so i removed it but may start using again if i feel like gaming .

THe PSU is solid built and sufficient even with the GPU , will clean it , the issues developed because the PC has been running for a over a year without being shut once .

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck EF, {ffffe001bcde16c0, 0, 0, 0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : svchost.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
both of the dumps were critical process died which causes can include, newly added hardware, drivers and out of date bios. If you have added anything new recently then try removing it.
As I wrote above you do need to update some drivers namely:

cxpolar64.sys Thu Jul 21 12:14:46 2011: Conexant Polaris Driver. This needs either updating or if no longer used remove.
Conexant

HECIx64.sys Mon Jul 02 23:14:58 2012: Intel Management Engine Interface. This along with the other chipset (Intel Inf) driver found on the windows 10 download page are extremely important for smooth running and should updated asap:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.0)

NvStreamKms.sys Sat Nov 22 07:46:45 2014: nVidia Streaming Kernel service. I assume this is left over from when you use the Nvidia gpu? It's actually the driver needed to run the Nvidia Shield gaming tablet or whatever it is and this actually slows the machine. As your not using anything but the Intel clean the drivers out by using the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.1.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum
(You will need to boot into safe mode to use it properly.

igdkmd64.sys Mon Dec 21 19:46:50 2015: Intel graphics driver. Please use the above app, DDU and remove your current Intel gpu driver. The DDU will make sure nothing is left behind especially from upgrades and the like. Once your back into windows please update your driver from here:
Drivers & Software

If after making these changes the bsod continues then run the driver verifier. First however you'll need to create a Recovery Disk/USB. The reason for this is because the verifier stresses each driver on boot up. If a driver bsod's sometimes it can lead to a bsod boot loop. In this case you can use the Recovery disk/USB to boot from, enter safe mode and turn the verifier off. Hopefully the culprit will be caught in the dump file.
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

Please post any new dump files.

Thanks i added a HP printer last week , i will run memtest on sunday then do a freah install with all latest drivers .

Hmm... I'd try the clean install with the fresh drivers first. See if the machine blue screens, if it does then go ahead with the testing, if not then enjoy.. Don't forget to remove the printer when performing the clean install.

Back