Windows 7 java, javascript, windows media player, .....

bird

HI there, I have no idea what programs I need, which are the same, help---
I have- adobe flash player 12, activex, plugin, adobe shockwave 11.6, HPmedia smart, quick time, realtek hi def audio driver, vio player version 1.o.1
HELP I have no idea what these programs are for and if I need them. Also, I don't have java or javascript.... should I have them. I frequently get messages that I have to get such and such a download ...... I never know what to trust or what I need. I know NOTHING about computers. As far as I know, I have windows 7..... that's how clueless i am.
HELP
cheers,
bird.

Well, you're not alone with your certain distrust, and uncertainty. I share it. I've personally gone down to minimum of extra non-Windows programs.

1. If you have no problems with running stuff - let it be.
2. What kind of messages do you get?

I leave it here for now, since there are millions of possibilities. The only one I don't know is VIO Player, but it should be safe --- some hate ActiveX... some... and so forth.

Please do, share info.

HI there, I have no idea what programs I need, which are the same, help---
I have- adobe flash player 12, activex, plugin, adobe shockwave 11.6, HPmedia smart, quick time, realtek hi def audio driver, vio player version 1.o.1
HELP I have no idea what these programs are for and if I need them. Also, I don't have java or javascript.... should I have them. I frequently get messages that I have to get such and such a download ...... I never know what to trust or what I need. I know NOTHING about computers. As far as I know, I have windows 7..... that's how clueless i am.
HELP
cheers,
bird.

The Realtek audio driver is system software that allows your hardware to play sound. You want that. Activex is a Microsoft software framework on which many web sites are built. You want that.

It is hard to find a web site that does not use Java or Javascript (they are programming tools). Basically, if you want to use the Internet, you pretty much need them or a lot of stuff won't work or won't appear. Just make sure that you download the latest version of Java (there was a serious security issue not too long ago that has been fixed with the current version).

HP Mediasmart is basically hardware, software, and services for accessing content. I don't know how integrated it is into your computer, but it probably doesn't degrade performance and may be useful.

Everything else is competing media players (you left out Windows Media Player, which should be on your computer and is pretty good). You may find that not every player handles every kind of media file, and the players have different user interfaces and features that are a matter of taste. It doesn't hurt anything to have the various players loaded on your computer. Try out the different ones for different types of files. You can set your favorite players to be the default player for specific types of media files (if you double-click on a media file, it will load and play using that program).

Thanks so much! Computers frustrate me to no end! It's not like my car, where I can open up the hood and see what's wrong! (of course, my car is 20 years old....... before everything turned into computers on cars!) I do have windows media. I had java at one point, but it caused problems, so I removed it. Is java and javascript the same thing? Is it free to download? Where should I download it from ...... I'm assuming they have a sight I can go to and download the latest version?
thanks so much for your help. I can't TELL you how nice it is to find you folks!
cheers,
bird.

Thanks so much! Computers frustrate me to no end! It's not like my car, where I can open up the hood and see what's wrong! (of course, my car is 20 years old....... before everything turned into computers on cars!) I do have windows media. I had java at one point, but it caused problems, so I removed it. Is java and javascript the same thing? Is it free to download? Where should I download it from ...... I'm assuming they have a sight I can go to and download the latest version?
thanks so much for your help. I can't TELL you how nice it is to find you folks!
cheers,
bird.

Java is what you download (free). The official web site: www.java.com.

Javascript is embedded in the web sites. You just need to enable it in your browser (allow it to execute). Here is a link for where to find it in your browser (different browser will probably be similar): http://support.microsoft.com/gp/howtoscript

Back