Windows 8 Just Sharing from Another Forum

Excuse me... it's more than what may be on Start but, yes, same content as Win+Q The created folder just means not changing screens, can open the folder whilst, staying on Desktop.

Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'll admit it... I'm going to back-pedal. Since, there is Windows Explorer @ the Bottom-Left Corner and Libraries in the Desktop Toolbar... I agree, there is no need to have Libraries folder pinned.

2nd; nice as it is not to flip screens and much as I have liked the Applications (folder) shortcut... There has always been the nuisance of setting up the Applications folder following a Boot. I suppose, instead of bothering w/ that (ritual), >Win+Q when, one wants or needs something, is maybe the lesser of 2 evils... & yes, nice layout. Still, nice as a Taskbar folder, if, could get it display better & w/out manipulation.

Ergo, both the Libraries or an Applications folder need not be on the Taskbar. Thanks for bringing that to the fore.

Ride on, guys :encouragement:

But, I will stand firm that there is great value in using the Desktop Toolbar... it really facilitates and expedites getting to many things... besides what it offers, by default, includes adding to it, going forward, & even, w/out having displayed icons (on the desktop).

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Yea I'm very impressed with 8 now. Windows 7 was good but there just was some things about it that caused problems. I take back anything bad I might of said about Windows 8 before, it is faster. I think was just fustrated about the driver support. I'm sitting here now enjoying music and videos having a good time. And liking the look I always have with win 8. Its sharper, clearer, and RP has Aero so the desktop is simply looking very colorful and amazing. This is something I've always wanted to have but since my older laptop had problems with win 8 I just kept thinking to myself," man I wish this would work", since my video driver kept making videos and games skip and freeze. But now my new laptop works great and I'm just tickled to death with its performance increase. :)
This is exactly the type of user Win 8 was designed for; Multimedia, and social networking. When it comes to the professional field then I am sorry to say that Win 8 will be a flop just like millennium and vista.

Speed is not the only criteria for a good OS.

There is also no need to have control panel pinned as one user in this thread had.

To quick access CP, move the cursor down to the bottom left and wait for the show metro icon to appear. Right click on that and you'l see a list of commonly used admin tools, one of which is the control panel.

My Windows7 is just as fast as it ever was... guess there's an exception to everything.

No, agreed, due to the bottom-left menu, not need to pin CP. Also, the is a CP via Desktop Toolbar that gives not only CP & the 'modern' categories but, all the CP items listed the as, us old farts are accustomed.

Screenshot (32).JPG

And, actually, even, if, it's hard for anyone to imagine, business likes Windows8.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

This is exactly the type of user Win 8 was designed for; Multimedia, and social networking. When it comes to the professional field then I am sorry to say that Win 8 will be a flop just like millennium and vista.

Speed is not the only criteria for a good OS.

I partially agree, lol. Windows 8 is planned, as freely admitted, towards portable devices with the use of a touchpad. But I agree with you, with reserve. If it is the intention for Microsoft, software writers, and even users, to go Metro, then something will have to be done regarding the present full screen presentation of Metro Apps. I do quite a lot of multi tasking in text issues, but I can see that those into anything to do with graphics, or more advanced occupations, can have a prohibitive problem with this. But for me, and for the time being, I find the small , (imo) , increase in performance is enough to make me move forward to Windows 8. The facilities are just a matter of getting used to different navigation and usage.

My interjection in this thread was mainly to support Shane's remarks regarding the better use of the Metro Start Menu.

Shane. You might be interested in my Start screen. The example is a little overcrowded, as I have only just been demonstrating it to another.

View attachment 424

Nick, I'm just letting folks know what's available. It's always subjective & personal preference, @ the end of the day. You think that listing is long?... ever seen God Mode? LOL :D

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

My Metro Start, mind everyone I'm still getting all my files and programs back since I moved from Win 7. I did a clean install of Win8 so this screen will be fuller and have many more groups and programs later. I just thought I'd share how my start screen looks.

Screenshot (4).png

My Metro Start, mind everyone I'm still getting all my files and programs back since I moved from Win 7. I did a clean install of Win8 so this screen will be fuller and have many more groups and programs later. I just thought I'd share how my start screen looks.

View attachment 435
Yup just as it should be; Win 8 is a social media oriented OS and definitely not for professional use! Cute colours, limited intuition and perfect for smart phones and tablets.

Yup just as it should be; Win 8 is a social media oriented OS and definitely not for professional use! Cute colours, limited intuition and perfect for smart phones and tablets.
Here is this same comment, again (& again). Keep seeing it tossed into threads...doesn't seem to matter as to the, actual, topic being discussed... kind of a 1-size-fits-all line that I keep seeing tossed about.

It has, already, been well refuted, several times & a few locations.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Here's another. No particular reason these tiles are there... guess I just got lazy... usually remove them as fast as I get them. As long as I don't have enough to have to scroll ;)

Screenshot (34).JPG

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Here is this same comment, again (& again). Keep seeing it tossed into threads...doesn't seem to matter as to the, actual, topic being discussed... kind of a 1-size-fits-all line that I keep seeing tossed about.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 436

I use some office software without any problems, Windows 8 can be made to look professional by removing the tiles and just leaving all windows programs. I don't see any reason why anyone would have problems with using basically the same programs that is for Win7 on Win 8.
And I'm not a social networking user by far, I barley check my facebook every few weeks. You can probably call me a power user geared toward entertainment features more then anything.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 436
I know you mean well so let us see What happens to Win8. Something tells me that it will go the way of Vista when it comes to PCs. Care to wager? (you should check the internet and see all the bad publicity it is getting and rightly so). I shall not bother you any more on this subject so let us wait and see! :)

I dont know about you but I recently tried Win 8 RP again and I thought it was very speedy on my new laptop. My processor scored a 5.8 on win 7, that number went up to a 6.1 with win 8. Which means Win 8 is handling my processor 3 points better then win 7 which probably results in better speed. Everything was nice and vivid I was really happy until looking at the video card driver. It said ATI radeon HD 4200 Engineering sample, I tried installing win 7 drivers but no go, it didn't take them and kept putting the sample driver back in. Which would have been fine but the software used to control graphics did not give me important options for adjusting full screen in 800x600. I would switch to this resolution and I had no full screen stretching option so I got black borders on the sides. Switching resolutions is important to me because pc games run better in lower resolutions on my graphics card.

If it wasn't for that I would definitely stick with Win 8. It has more vivid colors on my laptop, and good performance too. It makes me sad.
The Win8 score is actually worse than the Win7 score. Win8 scores on a scale of 1 to 10 and Win7 scores on a scale of 1 to 8. So the three tenth of a point your score went up is not really much.

The Win8 score is actually worse than the Win7 score. Win8 scores on a scale of 1 to 10 and Win7 scores on a scale of 1 to 8. So the three tenth of a point your score went up is not really much.

Yea I did happen to notice that recently, If anything I am glad I didn't get any lower or worse scores. If everything lives up to my expectations then I can be happy. And believe me, I'm a stickler when it come to performance. If a video or game doesn't run smooth I'll sit there for hours and try to make it better. And if my stuff didn't run better or just as good as it did on Win 7 then I would have already switched back.

Back