Windows 7 Kernal_data_inpage_error - 0x00000007a

ChazzK

So the BSOD I got the other day hasn't repeated, but now I'm getting a different one, as stated in the subject.

Kernal_data_inpage_error

Error code 0x00000007a

The first time it referenced ataport.sys, the second time it didn't reference anything. Neither one actually prepared a dump file, my latest files are from 5/9 when I had the last BSOD this forum had helped me with. It looks like the Bluescreen froze at that point, which is terrifying.

I had read that it was often times either hardware or memory; I was running CHKDSK on my D: drive when it happened. I've just readied the chkdsk on C: and am going to reboot to let it run this just in case.

I also downloaded the Kaspersky tdsskiller as I saw several references to that, but it found nothing.

That's the problem, it didn't *give* me any dump files this time. The latest are from 5/9. However, I run a full CHKDSK on both C: and D:, and an extended test using Western Digital's diagnostic tools, all came up fine except for the CHKDSK on C: which gave me
"CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system."
I will also attach the W7F results.

Attachments

• W7F_16-05-2014.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 413
Hi Chazz,
can you check your settings are like thus:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter

Click on the Advanced tab

Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button

Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked

Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box

Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.

Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Do you have a pagefile? If not this can stop a dump file from being created.

The automatic restart was unchecked, the write debugging is small memory dump, and the dump directory is as stated. And yes I have a pagefile set up. As I said in my initial post, I have that all set up, but for whatever reason when these errors happened, it never made the dump file.

I forgot before, but it froze up at the part where it said "Initializing disk for preparing a dump file," or however it was worded.

Also at the time that the error happened, I had been on a Skype call; the sounds of my computer continued on for a few moments, including the person I was talking to, not the usual "freeze up skip/stutter", until it went blue-screen and everything stopped.

Since I ran the checks last night I haven't crashed again, including when doing the in-depths scans, and full system virus and malware scans.

If you haven't already it might be worth running a system file check just to see if any part of the os is corrupt. If you open an admin command prompt by right clicking on it and choosing run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

After running it, it did say it fixed some errors. I've attached the log file.

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    200.1 KB · Views: 228
Wow it actually repaired quite a few files... You might at some point in the future want to consider a clean install?

I only just did a clean install a few months ago when my primary hard drive went belly-up. My room-mate has this happen too, there seems to be something about our systems that cause seeming false-positives going on, the same things that cause Windows Updates to make Internet Explorer stop working, and regular Explorer to default to "open new folders in new windows" over and over. Different motherboards, different everything at this point except for power supplies and video cards.

The reason that I say they're false positives is because some of the things it's "fixing" apparently would make certain things in Windows unusable period, but everything was fine except for the BSOD.

Fortunately, I haven't encountered any more since the CHKDSK was able to repair some things even before sfc. I'm hoping it's fixed properly, and/or if it does happen again a proper minidump gets created.

It happened again; this time referencing atikmdag.sys again. I've attached the dump file it actually gave this time. I'm mostly sure it's not the actual driver, though, as looking around at other things are showing people that changing drivers, reinstalling windows, swapping parts, etc. never fixed it, only ever increasing the power supply (multiple calculators have suggested that I have anywhere from 550-575 watt for max load, I have a 630) OR changing the wattage assigned by the motherboard in the BIOS. Of course now I have to figure out the wattage settings for my various pieces...

Attachments

• 051914-36831-01.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 255
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff88011106dbb, fffff88005bfb368, fffff88005bfabc0}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+c7dbb )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
looks like either a driver or process caused the gpu to crash.

BiosVersion = V2.5
BiosReleaseDate = 07/16/2013
You do have a update pending:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970AG46.html#/?div=BIOS
Please make double sure I have the correct page for your motherboard.

dtsoftbus01.sys Thu Jun 20 08:22:51 2013: Daemon Tools driver Possible BSOD issues in Win7 please uninstall to test.

avgidsha.sys Thu Mar 27 20:14:22 2014: AVG AV
SASDIFSV64.SYS Fri Jul 22 00:03:00 2011: Superantispyware
Please uninstall the above security apps and install MSE as this creates a known stable environment:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Check your RAM. Download the latest version of memtest86 here:
http://www.memtest.org/
This guide explains how to use it:
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tutorial-how-to-use-memtest.62524/

Post any new dump files.

I had already run memtest on my memory since the crashes began and it came up clean. However, just for humor's sake, I swapped the actual sticks with my room-mate as we have the same ones, just to be able to say "If it happens to him now it's definitely the memory, if it happens again to me it's definitely not."

However, in putting the sticks in, all of a sudden it wasn't working. It worked when put into slot 2, but not slot 4. Swapped which one was in which and it still wasn't happening. Changed to slots 1 and 3, which I just wasn't using because of the space and arrangement of some internal cables, and it booted right away like nothing.

If "the memory" is a possible cause, would a faulty memory SLOT also be a possible cause?

Almost definitely.... Damn. Check that there isn't anything trapped in the slot and if you have a compressed air can around give it a blast.

WELP, that didn't do it. However, in doing more research, a large number of people have said this was being caused by the motherboard applying the wrong voltages to everything; fixed either through manually setting them all or just factory-resetting the board by clearing CMOS. I've done so, and am hoping THIS will fix it... And I'm mostly keeping this post going because should I ACTUALLY find the solution, it will hopefully save the next person time and effort!

I read through your thread again because I'm clearly missing something.. Going back to your GPU and PSU. What is important to remember with GPU's is not the watts involved but the amps. Often cheap PSU's will have plenty of watts but not enough amps on the 12volt rail all depending on which card your running of course. If you post which GPU your running as well as the PSU involved I should be able to find the figures needed/involved.

Well it was only a thought.... So are you still getting bsods? I keep getting the feeling that something is being missed here so if you have any new dump files post em up.

Oh and if you feel your system might need a larger PSU then try this calculator which gives you a rough idea on what your system will need:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Back
Top Bottom