Windows 10 Keyboard lights quit working...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

My keyboard lights quit working after the update.
I wasn't connecting it with the update until I saw a post on the Microsoft site saying that their keyboard lights quit too.

I'll have to see if I can find keyboard software or drives and reinstall them.

Now I see a number of people using different keyboard having the same issues.

Mike

Last edited:
Reinstalling the software and drivers didn't work.
I still have no indicator lights on my keyboard.

What are we referring to when saying "keyboard lights"?

I just went with the new build update and my G510 froze for a few minutes along with my Razer DeathAdder mouse, then they started working normally. However, my Razer Synapse 2.0 software went completely nuts and I had to go back to the legacy driver/software package.

Your lights for Num-lock,Scroll-lock and Caps-lock. The functions still work but just don't display. Reading through the above thread i notice Microsoft have logged the issue. (plus I sent feedback although judging by that thread so will plenty of others too)

Hi

That's it all of the lights that tell you what's active etc.
The only light that works is the F Lock key, I don't even know what the F Lock key does?

I entered the problem in the feedback app.

It seems that lot of people are having this problem.
Weird, why some people and not others.

I have a Microsoft wired (USB) keyboard.
I have some other keyboards in the basement but I haven't dug them out and tried them, but I bet changing the keyboard won't help.

Whatever action that sends the signals to the keyboard seems to not be working.

I guess the good news is that so many people are having this problem that it will get fixed, I hate it when only a few people have an issue and I'm one of them. It can take forever for things like that to get addressed.

Mike

Ok, I guess that makes sense the F Lock key turns the function of the F keys off and on.

Last edited:
I just rebooted and just at that moment when it's pre-post you usually see the mouse and keyboard flash on I tried toggling the Num-lock key and the light came on. This time though it stayed on when win 10 booted so I tried toggling it on/off.. It didn't work. Light just stayed on although the actual Num-lock key worked as usual.. I guess we'll have to wait for an update or new build for a fix.

JI diont have the problem, so I guess it is hardware related (??)
But, I was interested, and found this:
Control Panel. Under Clock, Language and Region, choose Change input methods. On the left, choose Advanced Settings. Near the bottom, click on Change language bar hot keys. On the Advanced Key Settings tab, select Press the Shift key. Click OK, then Save. When you're back out, press the Shift key, and Caps Lock suddenly reverts to its usual behavior.

Maybe this works with ALL the lights??

Added.

Found this on the MS forum ( fro0m MS "experts")

Before you do any changes in the registry it is advised to backup the registry and do the below.
To change the behavior for currently logged in user:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard
To change the behavior for all users:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
Now in right-side pane, change value of "InitialKeyboardIndicators" string value to any of following:
0 - Turn all indicators Off (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)
1 - Turn CapsLock On
2 - Turn NumLock On
3 - Turn CapsLock and NumLock On
4 - Turn ScrollLock On
5 - Turn CapsLock and ScrollLock On
6 - Turn NumLock and ScrollLock On
7 - Turn all indicators On (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)

Last edited:
Thanks David but neither solution worked for me. It seems there are many different types of keyboard effected by this bug so I'm not sure it's tied to a hardware error. The keyboard lights work fine up until the point windows boots up cuz I've tested them in the moment between post and boot.

Hi

I tried both of these too, and they didn't work for me either.

I noted that when I log into The Elder Scrolls Online that it still indicates whether the Cap Lock Key is on or off though.
So the information is there, it's just not communicating with the keyboards.

I'm using a Microsoft wired keyboard so if anything should work it this one.
But this seems to affect many different keyboard types.

It's kind of a pain having to type into someplace to see if the cap lock in on or off, when you are entering passwords.

Mike

I almost wish I had the problem. It is more intriguing than an Agatha Christie.

I have a couple of Dell Laptops, and a huge touchscreen Dell stationery. For my laptops, I occasionally use docking stations, with Lenovo keyboards. Lenovo, as you know, is closely aligned with MS.

On none of these combinations, do I have the problem. Mybe it would help if we compared items in the device manager.?

For starters, here are my laptop keyboard details:

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

As you can see, The OS has automatically put in some drivers as old as the computers!!

Perhaps if you guys with the problem tries some older drivers??

Hi again.

Here's my keyboard info...

Keyboard_zpsdc20e6e5.jpg

While in Device Manager I rolled back the drivers to the old ones.
They are the same ones that you show dated 2006.

That did not have any affect on the keyboard lights.

Mike

Last edited:
Microsoft does know about this issue anyway. If you check one of the links I posted above you can see where a Microsoft rep writes that the issue has been logged but offers no other explanation.

Back
Top Bottom