Windows 7 keyboard or touchpad issue

declanh

Im running windows7 rc on a toshiba satellite m40 laptop.
All is largely fine except one issue...

Randomly while typing - at random intervals the focus will move to the beginning of the line or a previous line or to a different field... its like ramdom clicks are being introduced from the touchpad or random tab keys ?

its very frustrating - esp since
1) I have already bought the full retail version of win7 for this laptop (bought on preorder before i knew of the issue)
2) I know its not a hardware issue (ie hardware failure) as the laptop boots fine dual booted to xp and does not exhibit this issue.

Ive disabled comodo firewall and still the problem remains - i not running any other non MS services.

Any suggestion as to what to try would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

Is this a "clean" install or an upgrade?

Is there any special software for the touchpad?

Try going to Start > Run, and type msconfig.

Uncheck all boxes except for your anti-virus, spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

No restart.

If there is a particular program you want to start when you start your computer, just go back to msconfig and check the box.

it was a clean install - ive installed very little - put a few gadgets on and then removed them.
Basically its comodo and antivirus (firstly AVG then MSE)

its very irritating and im certain its not a hardware fault - it must be a driver issue or a conflict somewhere...

I never heard of that before, but I'm not a laptop expert.

Try this link and punch in your exact model number.

Link Removed due to 404 Error#

The click on the Download link on the bar above.

I never heard of that before, but I'm not a laptop expert.

Try this link and punch in your exact model number.

Toshiba Login#

The click on the Download link on the bar above.

"Base System Device" turns out to be the sd card reader... whichwhen i got the right driver no longer shows a flag.
For good measure I managed to track down a CD rom boot image for a bios update. So I have also updated the bios - too soon yet to see if it makes a difference.

Google TouchFreeze and give me some rep points. ;)
Hi, yeah I am already aware of touchfreeze but I have not tried it... not convinced that its the solution i want.
This laptop is 4 years old and is currently dual booting with winxp
It NEVER exhibits this issue with xp so i dont think its a case of me somehow brushing the touchpad with my palm while typing.

The BAD news is that after the BIOS update and the driver install for the "base system device" - the issue is still happening...

Its very frustrating... I'm hoping to get this issue resolved on Win 7 RC before i do a full install of the commercial one.
I will try touchfreeze as a last resort but I want to see if i can eliminate via some other means first.

same problem

Hi - I'm having the exact same problem - except that I'm using a Dell. I spent over an hour with Microsoft support this morning, after I have spent a few days googling the issue and trying numerous fixes. The typing issue did not occur while on the support, however I'm having difficulty just getting through this message. So far I have tried upgrading the chipset driver, upgrading the system BIOS, removing the keyboard from my devices and having Windows find it on reboot, chatting with Dell support, and now Microsoft support.

There has to be someone who knows how to fix this. I too, am only upgrading one machine until all the bugs are fixed.

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I did a clean install. I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Vista and the original drivers before doing the upgrade. (I used Windows Easy Transfer for my files .... that's a whole other issue and if anyone knows where my email is, I'll be very grateful).

I've downloaded Touchfreeze and so far (fingers crossed) the problems seem to be resolved. I don't know how. I know that I do not come within touching distance of the mousepad on the laptop when I type and I have the wear on the computer to prove it! But if it works, it works.

I am cautiously optimistic. Thank you, I hope. (now ... about that email???)

Update - I just had the issue arise again, while I was posting my email problem to another thread. It's not happening as frequently or as annoyingly as it was before, though. Hopefully someone will come up with some more ideas?

Update - I just had the issue arise again, while I was posting my email problem to another thread. It's not happening as frequently or as annoyingly as it was before, though. Hopefully someone will come up with some more ideas?

Some people say you have to disable the touchpad that moves your mouse to totally prevent erratic behaviour. Obviously you'll need an external mouse.

I wonder why you bothered to ask then.

touchfreeze is a bit of a hack to be honest.
Most people dont need it so clear it treats a symptom rather then the underlying cause.
The fact that most people dont need touchfreeze suggests to me that it should not be needed on my computer either.
Id rather have this fixed with driver updates or system changes without the need to have a traybar application running 24x7 as a workaround. Ive also read that touchfreeze means you cant play games that require touchpad and keyboard simultaneously either - so thanks a bit of an issue too.

Hope that helps clarify why im asking for an alternative solution.

D

Back