Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcut for "Sleep"?

proteus459

With all the keyboard shortcuts available in Win 7, isn't there one to put the computer to sleep?

The system came with a discontinued mouse/keyboard business set. The keyboard had a "sleep" key. Alas, this keyboard was not liquid-proof and a cup of tea ended its brief career as my favorite keyboard. The new MS keyboards seem to have every key EXCEPT the "sleep" key.

Last edited:
If you have sleep set up on the power you can Winkey right arrow enter. But if it still shows shutdown, it will do that.

There should be a way to set one of your keys the way you want. Which model keyboard is it?

If I had a sleep key, the way I type, I would be hitting it all the time... :)

Last edited:
Why don't you just set the machine to go to sleep (by itself) after whatever amount of time you like & choose?

Drew

If you have sleep set up on the power you can Winkey+right arrow+enter. But if it still shows shutdown, it will do that.

There should be a way to set one of your keys the way you want. Which model keyboard is it?

If I had a sleep key, the way I type, I would be hitting it all the time... :)

I have a model 600 wired keyboard.

Winkey+right arrow+enter Aero snaps the open window to the right; it does nothing to the power.

Last edited:
Why don't you just set the machine to go to sleep (by itself) after whatever amount of time you like & choose?

Drew

...because there are times when I want to control that myself... when I just want to wrap up my session, put the computer to sleep and leave.

Sorry, there should not have been + signs. I will check your keyboard but I currently have a Logitech K350 wireless that has a power button.

Sorry, there should not have been + signs....
It doesn't seem to matter, + signs or not, pressing and holding the Win key, the right arrow key and "enter" Aero snaps the current window onto the right half of the screen.

You don't press and hold.

The Winkey brings up the start menu. The right arrow moves to the power button. The Enter activates the highlighted button.

I use this for the sleep or shutdown sequence if the monitor is not on for some reason.

There is another option. Alt+F4 will close active windows. If no window is selected or none are open, you will be given a sleep/shutdown selection.

There is another option. Alt+F4 will close active windows. If no window is selected or none are open, you will be given a sleep/shutdown selection.

press winkey+D to go to the desktop, if you have one or more windows slected/open, then use alt+F4 as as above. then press the up arrow to reach the desired power option.

alternately, make a shortcut on your desktop to sleep and press win+D, the first letter of your shortcut, then enter.

i change the default to sleep, just click start (or use the winkey) and there is the sleep click. (Task Bar and Start Menu Properties/Start Menu/Power button action)
- they say there's no shortcut for a good night's sleep :)

Last edited:
press winkey+D to go to the desktop, if you have one or more windows slected/open, then use alt+F4 as as above. then press the up arrow to reach the desired power option.

alternately, make a shortcut on your desktop to sleep and press win+D, the first letter of your shortcut, then enter.

i password protect at startup, but not at logon, so there is no password protection with sleep. my dos password blocks anyone from access almost as well as bitlocker - does sleep resume at the logon screen if a logon password is enabled?

Last edited:
Win key, right arrow, enter. That's if you've selected sleep as the "power button action" in [taskbar properties, Start Menu, Power Button Action]. Otherwise, hit right arrow twice, then "s".

KISS:

Just Rt Clk Bottom-left Corner > Shut Down or Sign Out & hit Sleep.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

[SOLVED] I have a Microsoft keyboard 600 and I reassigned the "Calculator" key stroke to a sleep command line.

To do that:

1) Download and install Microsoft IntelliType Pro, a free software from Microsoft to customise your keyboard.

2) Start the application and choose the "Key settings" panel.

3) Select the "calculator" key name line and press "Configure" button.

4) In the new window, choose "Start a program, Web page or file" and press "next" button.

5) Cut and paste this command line in the blank space left to the "browse" button, and press finish:

"rundll32.exe" powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

P.S : To work correctly, the hibernate mode must be set off.

To ensure that, open the Run command window from the start menu and type.
powercfg -hibernate off

Is this shorter than hitting sleep in the Power Users menu? Or even than Alt+F4? Both of which are available by default.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

With all the keyboard shortcuts available in Win 7, isn't there one to put the computer to sleep?
The system came with a discontinued mouse/keyboard business set. The keyboard had a "sleep" key. Alas, this keyboard was not liquid-proof and a cup of tea ended its brief career as my favorite keyboard. The new MS keyboards seem to have every key EXCEPT the "sleep" key.

No problem.
First, click on the start button, then right click on the arrow beside the bottom Power settings button, and choose the Properties in this context menu. It should be the only one. In that dialog box choose Sleep in the Power button action: field then apply it and click OK.
Second when you're ready to put your pc to sleep, use the Alt/F4 keyboard shortcut and then hit enter. Voila! Sleeps like a baby.

Back
Top Bottom