Windows 7 LAN Desktop Shortcut doesn't do anything first time its clicked, works second time, very odd!

Syex

Extraordinary Member
Here's an unusual problem that's occurred recently. On my desktop is a shortcut to Local Area Connection, when I click on it for the first time nothing happens but does on the second double click.

More detail: Let's say I've booted the computer up for the first time in the day and I go to double click on the shortcut. I do that and nothing happens at all. If I double click again, it'll work. I know it's nothing to do with click speed as I've tested it by highlighting the shortcut and pressing enter.. nothing happens, if I press enter again, it opens. :confused2:

It's fine from that point on until I've shut down and rebooted the next day or whenever. At the moment Windows 7 keeps wanting to add about 7 updates but keeps failing, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. This also doesn't happen with any other shortcut on the desktop.

I also recently recovered from a BSOD on reboot - :ghost:unknown cause:devil_smile: - and had to reinstall everything, so somethings changed during the process. What is causing this strange bug? Be grateful for an answer.

Well for starts if this is a true shortcut (.lnk) file then you'll need to explain what it points to since a shortcut can point to anything. The windows update issue you will need to upload the windowsudpate.log file located in C:\windows to diagnose the issue.

Thanks for reply, doesn't do it now, some kind of glitch. I ended up turning Windows update off, got fed up of it. Might try it again eventually.

Hi, it's started doing it again. the link, to be more specific, is a shortcut to local area connection in 'All Control Panel Items\Network Connections\Local Area Connection'. Why would the first instance of the double click or pressing Enter be ignored? Very odd. Another problem I'm having recently is a pop up message above the system tray not going away. That message is there as I type this. It only goes if I click on the Network icon to reveal another message. It used to go when I clicked on it.
network_popup-edit.png

If you recently had a BSOD, did you search for any driver updates for your pc ?
Have you run a full virus scan on your pc ?
Do both and for the driver's don't get them from Windows Update, unless they're for Microsoft hardware (i.e: Xbox 360/One gamepad, webcam).

brkkab, yes I did actually have an unrecoverable BSOD at the start of the year, I fixed all that and installed well over a hundred updates, after a while I got fed up of trying to install updates that wouldn't install and turned updates off. I've run full virus/malware scans etc... I also got the correct hardware drivers from the Acer site and not from Windows. The system tray thing isn't happening now but the double click / select then enter on the shortcut is doing that again. I'd like to know why it happens... why the first double click is not recognised?

That's the whole problem then. Windows is screwed up and you need to do a clean install.
If you don't, you're issues are gonna continue and you'll most definitely see more of them.
I fully know about all of Windows 10's issues.
I've done atleast 60 clean installs of it since it was released in July, 2015.
Buggiest version of Windows I've ever seen since I've been using Windows back in 1995.

I'm not doing another clean install, it would take months to put everything back how it should be. I've fixed the update problem apart from some that aren't recommended as they cause problems. The issue seems to have gone (it might be back) although there's now another one. Have a look here if you would, thanks. Network messages stuck above systray

Back