Windows Vista laptop connects with limited connectivity

bledsoeharley

i purchased a used dell laptop with vista home installed on it. i then bought a router for my home. i can connect to the internet on my pc which is running xp with no problem. when i try to connect my laptop i can only connect with limited connectivity. i have tried numerous things and then today i tried using system restore. when i did it brought up the previous owners user names. i clicked on what must have been the childs as it had no password( the other two did). the laptop immediatley found my router and connected to the internet with no problems except the parental controls are on. i then did another restore back to my users and settings and could not get the same results. it still had limited connectivity. can anyone help me out? thanks

Have you officially changed ownership in your computer? See this link- www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/quick-tip-change-the-registered-owner-in-windows I'm not "Sure" this is your problem, but I've heard that a problem exists with Vista and it is not widely publicized, yet many people have the problem. It is "due to a bug in the Win Sock Bind Function" There is a hot fix from Microsoft for the problem. There is also kb928233 to look at. I'd be inclined to re-install Vista after it came from someone else, maybe I'm over-reacting. Ask Kemical.....

Back