Windows 7 Laptop had been checking disk for consistency every startup, now won't startup at all

fixer4162

My hp dv3t has been giving a message about checking a disk for consistency every time I reboot(ed) for about a week now, but today it froze after the countdown reaches zero (for bypassing the procedure)…nothing I do can get it past this step. What do I do? I tried booting from Safe Mode, it listed a bunch of drivers but then froze.

I'm using W7 64-bit Home Premium, can give more details if it helps.

Is the system in warranty? Perhaps HP would replace the drive.

Does or did the drive check show any errors? Do you hear any strange noises during drive access?

Is the system in warranty? Perhaps HP would replace the drive.

Does or did the drive check show any errors? Do you hear any strange noises during drive access?

I've had the computer for >1 year and I didn't get extended coverage so I don't think it's under warranty anymore.

Having said that the laptop is working again, booting up again normally and everything. It didn't make any strange noises, or show any errors, I did boot into Safe Mode and run the disk and memory checks but it found nothing abnormal, and then restarted it.

I backed up all the personal data to my desktop computer and will keep using it but I'm a little worried now about it failing out of the blue, is there a hardware or software diagnostic repair test/procedure I can run to see if it's ok (or do I need to take it to a shop and pay their diagnostic fee to check it out? Obviously I don't want to do that unless it's absolutely necessary.)

It would probably be a really good idea to make an image backup of your system. If the drive does eventually fail, all you would have to do is replace it and re-image.

It seems lately, there have been numerous posts about Chkdsk and their system getting in some type of loop.. I haven't seen anything related to a solution.

Back