Windows 10 Latest Windows 10 update causing problems

Samco

The latest Windows 10 update installed itself automatically two days ago and immediately began to cause problems on my PC. Any Excel file now takes 12-15 seconds to start, annoying enough since I use Excel a lot, but worse, Excel now routinely crashes with the loss of any unsaved work. Other Office components open normally, as Excel used to and other apps seem unaffected. Thinking it might be an Office problem I upgraded to Office 2019 but exactly the same thing happens. The update also seems to have disenfranchised my backup hard drive which now can't be contacted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The latest Windows 10 update installed itself automatically two days ago and immediately began to cause problems on my PC. Any Excel file now takes 12-15 seconds to start, annoying enough since I use Excel a lot, but worse, Excel now routinely crashes with the loss of any unsaved work. Other Office components open normally, as Excel used to and other apps seem unaffected. Thinking it might be an Office problem I upgraded to Office 2019 but exactly the same thing happens. The update also seems to have disenfranchised my backup hard drive which now can't be contacted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Same with my PC. Didn't try to upgrade MS Office, still need someone's help!

Solved both problems by chatting online to a Microsoft advisor named Aashid, a good man! The slow loading of Excel files was solved by right clicking on Windows icon, selecting Apps and Features, searching for MS Office, selecting it when it pops up then 'Modify'. Office simply did a quick self repair and files now start up in a flash. The external hard drive problem was caused by the update converting the drive from NTFS to RAW. Don't ask me how, but it meant that the drive became inaccessible. The solution was to follow the below guide to convert RAW

Step 1: Connect the RAW external hard drive to your PC.

Step 2: Click Start button and search "command prompt", then right-click one it and afterward press Run As Administrator.

Step 3: Type in Diskpart and then press Enter.

Step 4: Type G: /FS :NTFS and press the Enter key. (H is going to be the drive letter of your RAW storage device).

This would have changed your RAW drive into NTFS file system and the data you have stored in it can be used again.

If that doesn't work, try this link:

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back