Windows 10 License key confusion

ClintonB

I bought a widow 10 pro key on auction and got everything installed. The installation never asked for any key so i went into activation settings and clicked on chage key.

Windows gave an error that the key did not work. I reported it to the seller and another was sent that did the same. windows still works and it says i have a difital license and is activated which might be why it rejects my key

Does this activation expire and is there a way i can check that the key is good?

If it never asked for a key it may have detected a valid Windows 7 or 8 license and used the free upgrade path Microsoft has still not disabled. You may not even have needed to buy a key.

If it never asked for a key it may have detected a valid Windows 7 or 8 license and used the free upgrade path Microsoft has still not disabled. You may not even have needed to buy a key.
I read the same where they mentioned digital entitlement but not very clear how and why i am entitled. im also confused because i created a second partition to backup and the formatted mu windows partition. how would it have found my windows 8 key?

A point to raise?
What was in the computer, before your installation? As said by Joshefur, it is possible that your computer already had registered your right to a digital (free) update to Windows 10.
In this scenario, it is important, in the very initial stages of the installation, when you are asked to put in a key, that you respond to the (I do not have a key). At the end of the installation, in that case, you should fins the OS has been successfully activated.
As an aside. The market for already used keys is rife. Personally, I would NEVER buy a key from a third party source.
ant

A point to raise?
What was in the computer, before your installation? As said by Joshefur, it is possible that your computer already had registered your right to a digital (free) update to Windows 10.
In this scenario, it is important, in the very initial stages of the installation, when you are asked to put in a key, that you respond to the (I do not have a key). At the end of the installation, in that case, you should fins the OS has been successfully activated.
As an aside. The market for already used keys is rife. Personally, I would NEVER buy a key from a third party so
When i bought the pc it came with windows 8 preinstalled ie an OEM license. the win 10 i bought for R50 zar which is like $4 for OEMso im not compleely worried.

Most OEM computers will detect the valid Windows 7/8 license embedded in the BIOS and use it and never ask for a key.

Back
Top Bottom