Limited Access Only When Connecting to my Phone

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Now the important question is how did your DHCP client get set to disabled, it doesn't just happen on its own... I would still run a full scan with your Antivirus and Malwarebytes :)

scoostraw

That was going to be my very next question - how in the world would something like that get changed. I am ashamed to admit that my antivirus is not current... How do I run malwarebytes?

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
It's fairly simple... Download (www.malwarebytes.org), install and do a full scan.

scoostraw

Malwarebytes found 3 items. I removed them and rebooted.

When in the process of troubleshooting this, I disabled my firewall. I received an error message when I did so, but apparently it did turn it off. Now when I click on "Use recommended settings" I receive "Windows firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x8007042c."

Any ideas on this...??

scoostraw

Google is my friend. I resolved this. My "base filtering engine" was also disabled. Enabled that and my firewall seems ok now..

scoostraw

One last thing. Josephur and patcooke - lunch is on me. Name your poison.

Really appreciated the help guys.

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
You may want to run the Microsoft Fix It tool located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2530126
Just incase there are other issues with the Firewall that aren't apparent, it may find and resolve them automatically.

And you're welcome :)

scoostraw

Thanks. I just ran this. It didn't say it found and/or changed anything, but I rebooted after it finished. I'm guessing that's all there is to it?

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Correct, that is all there is to it! Hope your system is running better :)

scoostraw

I just discovered that I have no sound. "This computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled. Would you like to enable Windows Audio Service?". When I click YES I get "No audio devices are installed."

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Did you go to services and set Windows Audio Service to Automatic and start it? Man something did a number on your system...

scoostraw

Windows Audio was enabled, but Windows Audio Endpoint Builder was not. I enabled that and my sound is back.

Yes I'd really like to know what exactly got into my system...

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.