Windows 7 Limited connectivity - Unidentified network

Problem Fixed

Hello,

Our companies group of tecchies have been working many hours to try to figure out this problem for many of our clients and we have figured it out. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this because on each Network Card / WiFi there are detailed settings which have to be changed on each computer. Each computer or network card has to be completely setup separately. Apparently on Windows 7, it doesn't autodetect or gives you too many options/settings for network connections to get it to work perfectly with your router. We have also noticed that this is more true with people trying to connect to Linksys routers.

Hopefully soon, Windows 7 will have a patch our a Fix for this soon.

PS... THIS IS NOT A DRIVER OR A REGISTRY ISSUE SO STOP PLAYING AROUND WITH THEM!!!!!!! Will only make things worse!

***VERIFIED CAUSE of UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK***

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

Ahhh.... That's better.

Halcion - You da man (or wooman).

Win 7 Build - 7600.16385
Net was working fine until CS3 installed - I suspect it's to do with Version Cue.

What I found the most worrying about this problem was the total lack of control Windows gave me over the connection to this 'Unidentified Network'.

Guys, if the laptops or gadget can connect to your wi-fi while you can't, then the ISP is not the problem. Also, if you can previously connect and now you can't, it must be your firewall that has been turned on to the maximum level. You might have not noticed it that you are the one who set it up because you must have just clicked "Yes" again and again to your anti-virus program. :tongue:

This is the simplest solution, try it out.

Go to your anti-virus settings. Turn off your firewall. Reconnect to the wi-fi or LAN. You must be OK by now. Try if you can now connect to the internet. To be safe, try to turn on the firewall again.

Like this post if this resolved the problem to help out other users.

The Bonjour Services problem seems to have been resolved at least on my computer.
It keep getting reinstalled with updates etc, but I've quit uninstalling it since it doesn't seem to cause any problems for me anymore.

That wasn't true a couple of years ago when I first started beta testing Windows 7.
Back then everyone was having trouble it they had it on there computer.

My suspicious mind kept wondering it this was Apples way of sabotaging Windows 7. LOL

Mike

Back