Windows 7 Limited connectivity - Unidentified network

Jadeblauw

Hey You Guys,

Don't know if anyone has already posted this problem, can't seem to find it, so I'm posting it now.

Have AMD 64 3400+
Multiboot Vista HP (which I'm using now) + Windows 7
Asus K8N motherboard with nforce 3

In vista everything works just fine. But Windows 7, no can do

First he did not recognize my network adapter. Then I gave him the driver (which I'm not sure it's the right ons: NVIDIA nforce network controller)

and now he says in device manager my network adapter works, but I don't have connection to the net.
I don't THINK it's my proxy settings.

I tried ipconfig /flushdowns, worked
then ipconfig /release, got stuck, did not react. printscreen in attachement
Can enyone PLEASE help??? PLEASE!!!! :(

Last edited:
English isn't your first language, is it? Not hard to notice your use of "him" for a thing. Other than that you're english is good; I know a few language myself.

anyway, you should explain "now he says in device manager my network adapter works." Why do you meant works? what do you see there? if you're referring to nvidia network controller, ok I understand.

But it's not the network controller. You need the driver for the actual device, which probably currently shows up as "unknown device" in device manager.

What brand is your network adapter? Go back to the makers webiste and download the drivers for Vista, for the actual network device, not the controller.

you really didn't give many details for your computer, neither in your post or in your profile, as asked, when you signed up. Shame on you. :p

I think I'm having the same problem. I have a toshiba laptop with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AB6 Network Connection (I believe that means my wireless card). I am unable to connect to any networks. I can see all networks in range of my laptop but when I try to connect, I get a Connection Not Successful window. When I try to diagnose the problem windows is not able to find one. I've checked the device manager and it says that the device is working properly. I have tried connecting in two different places. Both times, I was unable to connect while my iPod Touch was able to. I believe this happened after the last update (at 3:00am PST)

Hello,

tnx for the comment.
I've adjusted my profile and put in as much info as possible.
I do'nt hav a clue who is the manufacturer of my network card.
It's built in, but it only says:
chipset built-in MAC with external PHY 10/100 Mbps Ethernet​

Can anyone tell me who is the manufacturer? I've already downloaded the most recent drivers from ASUS. So that cant be it.

Same here with Nforce. It didn't recognize it at first. Installed the drivers manually that work under Vista. Windows 7 says card is working properly, but it refuses to send even one packet. In properties it says how long the card has been running but zero packets in and out. I tried manually entering IP, subnet, gateway and it got the address but still doesn't do a thing.

I am gussing it is driver related but if anyone know of some "magic button" I am missing, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

I think I'm having the same problem. I have a toshiba laptop with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AB6 Network Connection (I believe that means my wireless card). I am unable to connect to any networks. I can see all networks in range of my laptop but when I try to connect, I get a Connection Not Successful window. When I try to diagnose the problem windows is not able to find one. I've checked the device manager and it says that the device is working properly. I have tried connecting in two different places. Both times, I was unable to connect while my iPod Touch was able to. I believe this happened after the last update (at 3:00am PST)

I have a Dell E1405 laptop with the same adapter, and I'm having the same issues. The odd thing is, I seem to be having trouble connecting to any of the various unsecured networks in my neighborhood. The campus network, which requires authentication, I can sometimes connect to successfully.

With the open non-secure library network, I only get a "Unidentified network" and "local access only". I've tried installing the drivers manually, and no dice. It's an odd problem.

i have xp sp3 and win 7. at first i manage somehow to connect those 2 computers. but, in the morning link was dead:(.
tought that kav 8 beta is to blame and replaced it with avg internet security. got connection for a while, but lost it again.
now, i can see xp from win 7 and have full access, but that all.
xp can ping win7. no way i can do anything else. no access, no internet thru win 7.

ps
new moments! from win 7 i can't see xp in network. only way is to use shortcut i've made when computers were really in network, at the beginning!!!
interesting is that i lose connestions after restart. win 7 is always on, but xp is kid's computer with limitet usage during a day ( and night )

i have the same problme on a k8 with nforce drivers.. can't figure out how to connect to the internet even if the card is recognised and working perfectly no package is sent or received.

Hi guys -- this seems to be a common problem in W7 X-64 (actually had the same problem in Vista X-64). The same network card works fine in the 32 bit versions of these system (and of course on XP).

I'm using a Via Velocity famiy ether gigabit network card (in a Laptop)

A Possible common fix (didn't work for me but has for quite a few people) however is to do the following
First (for network testing) switch all firewalls off -- at least get that out of the way. If you have any AV software disable it or uninstall it first --this can also get in the way when trying to diagnose Network problems. Norton is particularly bad in this regard.

UNPLUG and RESET your Router -- Don't plug it in again for AT LEAST 10 minutes. OK if you are on a Work LAN then this is not possible - I know but if you are at home do this step.

Start the computer with no LAN / ethernet cables connected -- unplug everything network related. - Wireless as well. then proceed as follows

1) Disable the helper service -- on RUN enter service.msc and set the IPHELPER to DISABLED
2) Uncheck the IPV6 connections on ALL your network adapters. (Type from the run command ncpa.cpl to get the list of your adapters and on a right mouse click on each select properties and just uncheck the ipv6 box).

3) careful here but you have to go into the registry. on Run type regedit.

look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS\INTERFACES\{GUID}

the {GUID} will be a whole long string of hex digits.

Now create a key (if it doesn't exist) or if it does exist set it to 0 if it isn't already set for each Network adapter - probably 2 one wireless and one a network card

DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag. Create a DWORD and set to 0.

Type this exactly (CASE SENSITIVE). Don't attempt this unless you feel OK at editing the registry as it's one of the easiest ways known to man of making a computer totally inoperable if you hose it up --you can always backup the registry before you start.

I 've given up on trying to fix my laptop network card (Wireless is fine). I've just plugged in a "Bog standard" USB==>LAN dongle --works without a problem --only cost me around 5 GBP / 8 USD. There comes a time when spending more time on a problem isn't worth it if you are getting nowhere.

I'm sure in an update or two the original network card will work fine -- crazy however that X-32 works but not X-64 even though Windows reports card as working normally.

BTW the problem only happens with SOME routers so it's a Router / network card combination problem. If you can find a new driver for your router that would probably help as well. Mine is so old it's not even being made any more.

Here's the CHEAP piece of gear I'm using works fine with X-64 W7 -- plug and play driver no prob.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you have a desktop computer just plug it into a USB port --there's loads on most computers and use it instead. You don't have to disconnect the on board lan.

for 3-4 GBP / EUR / 7 - 8 USD this to me is the most sensible solution if you can't get the built in hardware to work. In a few weks I'm sure windows update will fix the original problem.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
Well, there is an easier way...

Depending on your problem, that is...the pic above has an Automatic Private IP address, so it is simply not getting the IPv4 Address from the router. Try disabling the IPv6 in the NIC properties and disable/enable the adapter...then check for updated drivers (i use the x64 Vista one as the most recent update for mine)

For the "Unidentified Network" issue...that one is harder, but I figured it out and it is nothing more than stopping/disabling the "Bonjour DNS Responder" service, followed by a disable/enable of the NIC...and here is the detailed explanation for that:

***VERIFIED CAUSE of UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK***

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

Hope that helps! I haven't had issues since...
:razz:

FYI - I experienced this in both build 7100 and 7127...I am running 7127 now x64 - and discovered this fix just last night...so far so good just rebooted and then edited this post...I believe this fix will solve 7100 build issues too; however... I have not tested 7100 again yet.

...I also re-enabled Win 7's Discovery Mapping services, but always leave IPv6 disabled just because I am not using it.

...another two reboots, and a hard disk addition, and no problems with the Internet! - If you tried another fix such as changing the address of your network adapter, under "Advanced" - this is not necessary...I set mine back to "Not Configured." Everything is working fine as long as the Bonjour service is not running...another reason to hate the French? LOL

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2
NIC: Marvell Yukon 8E8056; driver v10.69.2.3 (4/21/2009)
***fyi - i did update the default Windows driver with this, Vista x64 driver

For the record, there is some blame pointing towards the following software, of which I do have installed and running properly:
Office 2007 SP2
Adobe CS3 (updated current)

Hi

After messing with this for a week I found that Bonjour Services" was the cause of my problems too!
I'm running W7 32bit.

Since I uninstalled it 2 weeks ago I have't had any problems.

Mike

Depending on your problem, that is...the pic above has an Automatic Private IP address, so it is simply not getting the IPv4 Address from the router. Try disabling the IPv6 in the NIC properties and disable/enable the adapter...then check for updated drivers (i use the x64 Vista one as the most recent update for mine)

For the "Unidentified Network" issue...that one is harder, but I figured it out and it is nothing more than stopping/disabling the "Bonjour DNS Responder" service, followed by a disable/enable of the NIC...and here is the detailed explanation for that:

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

FYI - I experienced this in both build 7100 and 7127...I am running 7127 now x64 - and discovered this fix just last night...so far so good just rebooted and then edited this post...I believe this fix will solve 7100 build issues too; however... I have not tested 7100 again yet.

...I also re-enabled Win 7's Discovery Mapping services, but always leave IPv6 disabled just because I am not using it.

...another two reboots, and a hard disk addition, and no problems with the Internet! - If you tried another fix such as changing the address of your network adapter, under "Advanced" - this is not necessary...I set mine back to "Not Configured." Everything is working fine as long as the Bonjour service is not running...another reason to hate the French? LOL

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600

For the record, there is some blame pointing towards the following software, of which I do have installed and running properly:
Office 2007 SP2

Hi there
How do you FIND this service -- I can't see anything called "Bonjour" in the services list

Cheers
jimbo

Hi

For me it did appear in the Add, Remove hardware list.
All I did was run uninstall.

I have seen posts that say it can be there and not show but I don't know how you would find that.

This service is normally installed when you install Apple I-Tunes, or later versions of Adobe software.
There may be other sources for it too, I don't know.

This doesn't seem to be the only reason that people have problems connecting but it was for me.

Mike

Mine shows as the "##...ID String##" very strange...

basically, if you open the properties for your running services, you will see "DNS Responder" in the "path to executable" line...

you could also uninstall the Bonjour service, but I found it easily fixed by disabling it. (I'm not sure if it is in my remove programs list...not on my Win7 box right now...)

servces list??

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600

Office 2007 SP2

how do i open the services list??

simply click on the start logo and type services in the search box...this will display the services in the results with the gears icon. once there, sort the list by running services and look for the Bonjour service - or the string ID if applicable (as I described above) I later found the unidentified string to be the Bonjour service...You should disable this by double clicking it, selecting disabled from the pick list, and then stop, apply, OK.

That did it for me, and I have been running fine ever since...you may also want to search for the very latest drivers for your network card...I had to use the x64 Vista ones for mine, but I may end up actually installing an Intel Pro 1000 just for better performance, as I have had some really slow copying performance over my LAN....hope that helps!

Hi

Just back to say that since disabling "Bonjour Services" in May, I have had no problems at all connecting to the internet.
In fact everything is working better then I could ever have hoped.

Windows 7 seems on the whole to be able to solve most of it's own problems.

I had never been able to get my scanner to work because of a lack of available drivers.

Suddenly a few days ago a popup appeared saying "New drivers are being installed for your scanner".
Then one that said "Your device is ready to use". My scanner was not turned on at the time and I had not tried to use it for over a month.

Sure enough when I opened up Photoshop and hit Import, the scanner was working.

Mike

services

ok im on the list but i cant find the id nor the bonjeur service,... (my pc is in spanish, but i cant find anything similar to what you guys descrived),.... =S

i cant find the Is.String nor the bonjeur services, but i found a DNS client and i stoped it, i tryed to conect and the """"problem solver""""" tels me it cant find an IP valid configuration,....=S

I discovered that disabling the Bounjour service solves my unidentified network problem, but it breaks my Tivo Desktop 2.7 software. Any ideas what to do to get both problems resolved?

Back