Windows 7 Line IN not showing up in Volume Mixer

DrConstrat

Help!

Line In doesn't show up in the Volume Mixer 99% of the time (if I reboot the machine it shows up, but its not always practical to reboot it)

My first guess for such a situation would be a driver problem. There are conditions where the Line In may be combined with a microphone input.

Do you have something plugged into the Line In port?

Well yes, I my audio source plugged into the Line In port (on the back of the machine) :)

But there is something weird going on, when i pull out my headset (from the front of the machine) the line in disappears from the volume mixer.

There are settings that will change the function of a port depending on what is plugged in. Sometimes audio from the back may be cut off if something is plugged into the front. This goes along with the ability of the system to recognize when something has been plugged or unplugged.

If you have a Mixer panel for your sound device, you might check that, or look through the Windows mixer and check the settings on the properties and configuration for your input and output devices. The Control Panel has these items set up as Sound, or as in my case, a separate Realtek dialog window.

Attachments

• Audio.GIF
    Audio.GIF
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,184
Cool control panel, but i have nothing like that, its just an audio cable from the tv.
In 'recording devices' I see the line in and the vu meter is going up and down so presumably the sound gets that far, and checking 'listen to this device' has no apparent effect.

Your original question was about line in not showing up. All I can suggest is plugging something into certain ports may affect how it works.

Otherwise, look for a device driver for your sound device.

I would help you look for a driver, but I have no information about your system.. If you know the sound device on your motherboard, or one you installed, that would help. If not, the motherboard might help, or you could run msinfo32.exe and look under components for the sound devices.

I would help you look for a driver, but I have no information about your system.. If you know the sound device on your motherboard, or one you installed, that would help. If not, the motherboard might help, or you could run msinfo32.exe and look under components for the sound devices.

That is very kind of you Saltgrass. But the thing is I never installed any drivers - I don't seem to see any much anymore - Windows 7 does it all. It just tells you "Hang on a moment, I'll check" and hey presto, there is a driver installed.

I tried msinfo32.exe, but it just calls it a "High Definition Audio Device"

Windows 7 has a lot of drivers, which is a good thing, but they are usually generic and may not take advantage of your hardware. The fact a manufacturer is not shown for your device probably means it is generic.

Anything you can do to find out the specifics of your system might help. Do you have a CD that came with the motherboard? Even installing the chipset drivers or audio might help.

Try this;
Open device manager
Expand Sound, video and game controllers
Select then right click the problem device and choose properties
Select the details tab
Change the drop down to Hardware Ids
Right click the value box and choose select all
Right click whatever just turned blue and choose copy
Paste the results into your next post and we'll see if we can work from the Hardware IDs to find something useful.

Anything you can do to find out the specifics of your system might help. Do you have a CD that came with the motherboard? Even installing the chipset drivers or audio might help.

I think so (not sure if its for this computer or an even older), it suggests a Realtek High Definition Audio device, and also:

Try this;
Open device manager
Expand Sound, video and game controllers
Select then right click the problem device and choose properties
Select the details tab
Change the drop down to Hardware Ids
Right click the value box and choose select all
Right click whatever just turned blue and choose copy
Paste the results into your next post and we'll see if we can work from the Hardware IDs to find something useful.

Code:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_104382FE&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_104382FE

Googling for HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC also suggests realtek.

Now i'll search a bit more.

I think so (not sure if its for this computer or an even older), it suggests a Realtek High Definition Audio device, and also:

Code:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_104382FE&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_104382FE

Googling for HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC also suggests realtek.

Now i'll search a bit more.
Looks like you're probably correct so this driver should help, give it a try and see how it shakes out.
Realtek
Check the box and agree
choose the one in the middle High Definition Audio Codes (Software
and then the R2.64 driver for your flavor of Windows 7 32 or 64 bit.

Heh, it doesn't work for me - when I click on 'next' I get told 'the object has moved' and it directs back to the page i came from.

If you are using IE9, click the broken page icon, just to the right of the address/URL bar and see if that makes it settle down and behave.

Back