Linux Must-Have Programs Cool List

Adamsappleone

U.S.Navy D.A.V.
It's been approximately two years since I've written the first article, A (cool) list of Linux tools. The article proved quite popular with my audience, as it allowed Linux users, new converts in particular, a quick taste of some of the more useful programs available for Linux platforms, across a range of categories.

cool-list-teaser.jpg

Since, a lot has changed. Two years is a long time. I have decided to write a new article, from scratch, cataloging an up-to-date collection of must-have programs. To make it even more interesting and useful, I decided to add screenshots wherever I can and link to tutorials explaining the use of these programs.

So, not only will you have a nice list compiled, you will also have a preview of what they look like and detailed instructions how to configure them!

Like the last time, the programs will be sorted by categories. The list won't be too short, but it won't be too long, either. It will contain just enough great stuff to get you started, without being scarce or overwhelming. Considering the fact that almost anything in Linux can be done in fifteen different ways, it is very easy to get lost in the ocean of choices. I will try to maintain a right balance between quality and quantity.

Furthermore, it is important to add that I am using or have at least thoroughly tested all and any application listed here. There will be no random entries.

Games
I will not be listing games here. They belong in a separate category, although I will make a few references to several useful game-related articles I've written. If you're interested in learning more about Linux games, I recommend you check the entire section dedicated to this goal, with some 30+ titles reviewed in detail.

Users' recommendations
Likewise, there's a users' recommendation sub-section, so you can send me your suggestions and ideas. In general, the programs must be production-grade, no alphas or betas, easy to install and use, and supported by main distributions. I can't promise to include your choices here, but if I do, you'll be credited with your contribution.

So, if you're ready, plunge in and enjoy!

Table of Contents:

More on the cool list found at: New cool list of Linux must-have programs

Back