Windows 10 Log in trouble Windows 10

RitaWebber

I downloaded Windows 10 last night and it was working great until I did a restart to update my AVG . Then it wouldn't accept my Microsoft password to log in to my laptop . I am able to log in to my Microsoft account on my tablet and I even changed my password twice but it still gives me the incorrect password message .

Hi,
apologies as it seems in all the madness your post was missed. Do you still need any help for your issue?

The only way I had to fix it was to do a factory reset. So I ended up back at my original Windows 8. I'm now working on upgrading to 8.1 after a gazillion updates get loaded. (My hp pavilion is 3 years old). What I need to know now is how can I get the Windows 10 upgrade now when I'm ready to try again?

I did what you said and installed the media creation tool. It's gotten to completion over and over until it disappears. The problem now is I get a message that the Modern Setup Host has stopped working. What the heck do I do now? I've seen some answers that involve pretty advanced work that I'm afraid to attempt. Is there a simple fix for this? I've tried the troubleshooter for it already. It said the problem was repaired but it still didn't work after I rebooted and tried again.

I did download the Windows 10 to a flash drive but I'm not sure I know how to use it and where I find my product key. I suppose that's in my system info somewhere.

HELP!! I may never get Windows 10 now. I really have to go pay a computer guy to do something I should be able to figure out.

Rits how much free storage do you have? In other words how much free space is on the hard drive?

3.47 GB available. And I did find my product key. It's what I thought it was after all.

3.47 GB available
There's your issue... Rits you need at least 25% of the HDD free for it to be working effectively. You might have noticed your machine becoming slower? Also the upgrade requires something like 16GB of free space but I'd try and get as much free as possible, at least double that.

Okay, that can't be right then. I just did a complete restore to my original factory setting. Then I did all the updates required to get me back to 8.1 from the original Windows 8. I have no video or music downloaded on this computer.

Okay, I have 514 GB free of 568 GB on my Local Disk (C: )

Last edited:
This PC.png

This is the screen shot of This PC

Yep you got plenty of space.. so let's see. Do you have any Anti virus applications running? If so uninstall and remove them. Just use the Defender that comes with 8.1.
If you have anything connected via usb other than the k'board and mouse please remove it.

Okay, yes. I have AVG and Malabytes. I'll remove them now. Then I'll try the download again.

Have you been able to get the .iso file. Since it appears you finished the original upgrade, your system should be able to activate with a clean install using the .iso files copied to a flash drive, or that image burned to a DVD.

Sorry I don't have any experience with that Media Creation Tool.

I'm still getting the Modern Host Setup is not working.

I did download to .iso file to a flash drive but I don't know what a clean install is so I don't know how to use the flash drive file now.

I don't think I can do that because I lost the upgrade when I did the factory reset after I mucked up after the upgrade.

I did some Googling ( as before) and it seems this error usually appears because of lack of space on the HDD hence my earlier question. You have plenty of space so I'm starting to wonder if your system might not be compatible in some way but anyway if you can post the full name of your laptop that would great. The more information you can provide the better.

system.png
Here's the specs. It's an HP Pavilion purchased in Dec 2013, but it may have been produced prior to Aug 2013. It came with Windows 8.

system2.png

What confuses me is that when I did the original upgrade to Windows 10 it was working fine until I messed with my log in settings. I was trying to set it so I wouldn't have to log on every time I opened my laptop, but I think I inadvertently changed my user or something. All I know is that after I did a restart to update the AVG I was unable to log back on. It kept saying my Microsoft password was incorrect. I changed it twice and I still got the same message, even though I could log on to my MS account from my tablet just fine. I had been exploring the features on Windows 10 for over an hour. The only problems I ran into were these: I was unable to open Google Chrome. I was about to uninstall it and reload it when I got the message to restart to update AVG.

Attachments

• system2.png
    system2.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
I did download to .iso file to a flash drive but I don't know what a clean install is so I don't know how to use the flash drive file now.

I don't think I can do that because I lost the upgrade when I did the factory reset after I mucked up after the upgrade.
You might be correct about the Factory Reset, but the activation is not kept on your system, so before you go through reinstalling 8/8.1 you might give it a try.

Doing a Clean install will remove the possibility of doing a Factory Reset, so let us know.

But just to be clear, after you have the working and activated Windows 8.1 install restored, how do you access the Setup file on the .iso?

You might be correct about the Factory Reset, but the activation is not kept on your system, so before you go through reinstalling 8/8.1 you might give it a try.

Doing a Clean install will remove the possibility of doing a Factory Reset, so let us know.

But just to be clear, after you have the working and activated Windows 8.1 install restored, how do you access the Setup file on the .iso?

Saltgrass, you need to know that I am not much in the way of computer knowledge. I can't do a Clean install. The very though terrifies me. It took me 2 days to get back to Windows 8.1 after I did the factory reset. I had to install a million updates (from 2013 to now) and then upgrade to 8.1

If I lose the ability to do a factory reset (I have set a restore point) wouldn't up be up the creek with no paddle?

When I put the flash drive with the .iso in the USP port I am able to open the file but I have no idea how to use it from there.

iso.png

View attachment 30503 Here's the specs. It's an HP Pavilion purchased in Dec 2013, but it may have been produced prior to Aug 2013. It came with Windows 8.

View attachment 30507

What confuses me is that when I did the original upgrade to Windows 10 it was working fine until I messed with my log in settings. I was trying to set it so I wouldn't have to log on every time I opened my laptop, but I think I inadvertently changed my user or something. All I know is that after I did a restart to update the AVG I was unable to log back on. It kept saying my Microsoft password was incorrect. I changed it twice and I still got the same message, even though I could log on to my MS account from my tablet just fine. I had been exploring the features on Windows 10 for over an hour. The only problems I ran into were these: I was unable to open Google Chrome. I was about to uninstall it and reload it when I got the message to restart to update AVG.

Oh so you did the upgrade already but something went wrong. Now you have gone back to windows 8.1 to start all over again but you keep getting this error message yes? (everytime you try to upgrade)

Back
Top Bottom