Windows 10 Log in trouble Windows 10

Oh so you did the upgrade already but something went wrong. Now you have gone back to windows 8.1 to start all over again but you keep getting this error message yes? (everytime you try to upgrade)
Exactly. I am using the Media Creation Tool I got from the MS website.

The only way I could get back in to my computer was do the factory reset as I had failed to set a restore point before I started the upgrade..

The trouble is you can't really do a clean install even if you knew how to do one because in order to get a new key for windows 10 you have to do an upgrade so your win 8.1 key will eventually change for a win 10 key. If you clean installed this won't be able to happen.
Some users have described having success using this method:

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 will start downloading again.

The trouble is you can't really do a clean install even if you knew how to do one because in order to get a new key for windows 10 you have to do an upgrade so your win 8.1 key will eventually change for a win 10 key. If you clean installed this won't be able to happen.
Some users have described having success using this method:

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 will start downloading again.

Please tell me how to get to step #1. (I'm such a noob, I know).

"If I lose the ability to do a factory reset (I have set a restore point) wouldn't up be up the creek with no paddle?"

With an HP, the recovery is, as in your picture, D:

A clean install should not normally affect this. But, as Kemical says, you have to do the upgrade to get a new key - First.

David she needs to upgrade so that she can get a windows 10 key. The thing is everytime she tries to upgrade the error 'Modern Host Setup is not working.' flags up... Any ideas?

David she needs to upgrade so that she can get a windows 10 key. The thing is everytime she tries to upgrade the error 'Modern Host Setup is not working.' flags up... Any ideas?

Y'all are so nice to spend so time trying to help me. Thanks so much,

Please tell me how to get to step #1. (I'm such a noob, I know).

Hehe no problem Rits.. :) See the screenshot you posted on post #11? Click on 'Local disk' and you should see a few folders including the windows one. Click that and then look for Software distribution. Click that once you find it and then open the download folder inside. Delete everything inside there as the instructions say and then simply close the folders. There's a lot i know but just highlight it all and delete.

If you clean installed this won't be able to happen.
Not true kemical, if you have done a successful upgrade prior to trying the clean install.

The fact that system is already registered for Windows 10, may in fact, be the problem.

If clicking on the setup file on the flash drive or copying those files to the hard drive and doing the same thing does not work, something is not right. Too bad another hard drive is not available for testing..

Hehe no problem Rits.. :) See the screenshot you posted on post #11? Click on 'Local disk' and you should see a few folders including the windows one. Click that and then look for Software distribution. Click that once you find it and then open the download folder inside. Delete everything inside there as the instructions say and then simply close the folders. There's a lot i know but just highlight it all and delete.
Okay, that's done. Now how do I get to the command prompt?

Not true kemical, if you have done a successful upgrade prior to trying the clean install.

The fact that system is already registered for Windows 10, may in fact, be the problem.

If clicking on the setup file on the flash drive or copying those files to the hard drive and doing the same thing does not work, something is not right. Too bad another hard drive is not available for testing..
I haven't tried anything with the flash drive.iso file because I don't know how to do it. I have it loaded on the flash drive and I can pull up the files but then I'm lost.

The problem I have been having is using the Media Creation Tool. That's where it all loads but then gives me the Modern Setup Host has stopped working message.

If Windows 10 was upgraded even if you did a factory reset you should be able to do a clean install of windows 10. I believe the Windows 10 key has been stored. Before doing that I would make a back up for safety reasons of Windows 8.1 just in in case something should go wrong.

I thought with Rits going back to the old os would revert any changes?
I could understand the Windows 10 registration being removed had a Rollback to the earlier OS been accomplished. But since Windows was not available for that process to work, a Factory Reset probably had no effect regarding the online registration data.

I could understand the Windows 10 registration being removed had a Rollback to the earlier OS been accomplished. But since Windows was not available for that process to work, a Factory Reset probably had no effect regarding the online registration data.

Keep in mind I did the Windows 10 upgrade from the download MS sent me automatically from Windows 8.1, which was not the factory OS. When I got the pc it had Window 8 on it. I upgraded to 8.1 later, so the reset went all the way back to 8. I had to do all the updates then in order to get to 8.1 so that I could try to upgrade to 10. When I tried to upgrade from 8 it told me I had to have 8.1 to do it.

Okay. I found the Windows Update for Windows 10 in my control panel and I am downloading it now . Maybe this will work . I'll let you know .

If it were to matter, the Media Creation Tool asks if you want Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home. You choose Windows 10 Home, correct? It also asks if you want the 32 or 64 bit version and you choose x64?

Hopefully the current download will work.

I never even looked in that Windows Update section of the control panel . It was there the whole time . It's all downloaded and I have agreed to the terms. It restarted and now I have the configuring update for Windows 10 on my screen . I'll be back in an hour or so to let you know if it worked but it looks promising .

Irrelevant now, but, Ross, your post #25. The only reason for this is that the partition is too small. She has got to have a minimum of 20gbs to be successful. But you have already pointed that out in an earlier post.

Going back again to post #9. This would be the possible reason for password failure, which she mentioned in post #1 " I was trying to set it so I wouldn't have to log on every time I opened my laptop, but I think I inadvertently changed my user or something"
I think she is going to have to find that password before she can activate, assuming, this time, a successful install.

I never even looked in that Windows Update section of the control panel . It was there the whole time . It's all downloaded and I have agreed to the terms. It restarted and now I have the configuring update for Windows 10 on my screen . I'll be back in an hour or so to let you know if it worked but it looks promising .
Fingers crossed here Rits. :)

Back