Windows 8 logging on as admin

mozzarz

In earlier versions of Windows we were advised not to login as admin for everyday computing but to login as an ordinary user instead for security reasons. Now I have Windows 8.1 and discovered that I am always "admin" and that in order to create a regular user account it's different. I would have to create a new Windows account with it's own email address and so on...

I went to Best Buy computers and asked the Windows representative about this and he wondered that I even cared about being online as "admin". "It doesn't make any difference" he said. What??? All these years we were advised to be careful and now it doesn't make any difference? What gives? He acted as though he didn't know what I was talking about.

So what's the deal here folks? Do I need to forget those earlier admonishments and go ahead as "admin"?

There is still, in theory at least, a potential security weakness being logged on as admin although I need admin rights so often I've never bothered with using ordinary user accounts. If you want to it's worth bearing in mind that if you disconnect from the internet before creating the new user then it doesn't require you to log on with and email address. This includes the first account you create on a new install.

There is still, in theory at least, a potential security weakness being logged on as admin although I need admin rights so often I've never bothered with using ordinary user accounts. If you want to it's worth bearing in mind that if you disconnect from the internet before creating the new user then it doesn't require you to log on with and email address. This includes the first account you create on a new install.

I didn't think of being off line whilst creating the new account but you also suggest that it doesn't make much difference (anymore) so the heck with it. I'll stay as is. "What..... me worry?"

Hi

Personally I am always logged in as admin now.
There are just too many bottlenecks if you aren't, you will always be getting the "You need to be an Administrator to do this" message.

I do not however log in with my Microsoft Account.
As Patcooke said you can create an administrator account that's independent and use that.

Mike

Hi

Personally I am always logged in as admin now.
There are just too many bottlenecks if you aren't, you will always be getting the "You need to be an Administrator to do this" message.

I do not however log in with my Microsoft Account.
As Patcooke said you can create an administrator account that's independent and use that.

Mike

Strange, it seems, that for years the admonishments against being admin flourished and now, of a sudden, "phooey with the whole business". Well I guess I'll follow along and stay admin and stop being concerned. Nice to have some opinions. Nice to know what others think on the matter.

Back