Windows 7 Login to safe vs nomal mode??

dridge08

Hi,

I have a toshiba satellite laptop within windows 7, used it 10-15 times in 6 months, only have 1 user account on it, never created a windows re-install disk or anything like that.

Never had a problem until a month ago when at the windows login screen, it won't accept my pword. it had never been changed since new. and it can't be due to capslock, numlock etc.

I could however use the pword to login to safe mode, where I created a pword reset USB disk. I have since changed the pword several times (to really simple pwords), all of which continue to work in safe mode... but not normal mode!

Would appreciate any advice as its really annoying... Thanks

Dan
Bristol, UK

Hey there.

Boot to safe mode. Then go to the Control Panel. Change it near the top right to show large or small icons. Double click User Accounts. Click Manage another account. Click the account you normally log in with then click Change the password.

Have you run an anti-virus while in safe mode?

You might create a new user account and try to log in to that.

Hi

Thanks for the replys TorrentG and Saltgrass

I boot in just 'safe mode' (as opposed to with networking etc)
I go into the control panel, the graphic on the right hand side shows my account name and 'administrator' and 'password protected'
I can see the option for 'manage another account' and when I hover over it it 'underlines'... but when I click nothing happens, no action
The same happens if I try to create a new user account

NB - after clicking the 'user account' icon in the control panel, there is an option to simply 'change your password'. I have done this before, but theres no improvement.

Re the AV, no I haven't run a scan. I am now

Assuming the scan comes back ok... why won't it let me manage the account?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom